Mason jar storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
Turns out a mason jar works pretty well for "short term" storage of beer poured out of a keg.... Made a beer a couple months ago and decided to save the last few quarts that I had in my keg in Mason jars. Just cracked open today to find them just as carbonated as they day I filled them. I did make sure to turn down my pressure to about 5 psi when filling and I filled them all the way to the top to minimize head space. Much easier to fill than bottles as you can fill it directly off the tap. Was expecting them to be flat after a couple months but they were just fine. I'm thinking they could go much longer.

For yeast starters I normally make a 6+ liters at a time and store it in mason jars. So far I've avoided infection with soaking the jars and lids in Star San.

You mean I can use them for things other than moonshine?

Tennessee backwoods m'fer!!!!

disclaimer: SWMBO is at work, and I've had waaaayyy too much homebrew!!! :rockin:

Note you probably cannot bottle condition in Mason jars but filling off a keg is easy. No counter pressure bottle filler needed. I read on here where people thought it would only keep carbed for a few hours or a day. Definitely not the case though.

I use mason jars for yeast harvesting and hop storage. You can get a vacuum sealer attachment for mason jars for $10 or so that will vacuum seal mason jars to keep the hops fresh. Toss the sealed jar in the freezer and now you have 10+ LBS of bulk hops. :D Quart size fits a full LB of pellet hops perfectly.

IMG_0076.jpg

I use these to store beer all the time. My kegerator is at my shop, I transport and keep it in quart jars. Never had any go flat on me. I've kept them only up to a few weeks. Never any issues, use them for all kinds of things.

I'll continue to take the risk. If a jar shows signs of infection I won't use it and if a endospore is hanging out in the jar it will get hit with plenty of oxygen during the process of making the starter and the beer so the chance of it becoming active seems low. Plus as a healthcare worker I'm probably contaminated with MRSA, VRE, CRE, ESBL and loads of MDROs so I'll have the three stooges effect where theres so much trying to get through the door that nothing will fit in. :mug:

I use these to store beer all the time. My kegerator is at my shop, I transport and keep it in quart jars. Never had any go flat on me. I've kept them only up to a few weeks. Never any issues, use them for all kinds of things.

I use mason jars to keep raw wort that will be used to build my yeast starters. I take them out and boil them as needed. I have had 2-3 get moldy on me but 97% are fine. They usually only have to keep for a month at the longest before getting used.

Latest posts

Back