mashtun setup: am I going to poison myself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Publius

Reaction score
Looking to start brewing AG, went to Lowes today to pick up a ss braid and associated hardware for my 10 gal cooler. After separating the braid from the inner tubing and brass fittings, I used a ss hose clamp to reattach the braid to one end of the inner hose/end assembly. I did this so I can easily unscrew the braid and attach a different threaded assembly that serves as part of my water fermentation chiller (for now i plan to use the same cooler for both). I'm starting to have second thoughts though about having that brass fitting of unknown composition and that little orange plastic washer in my mash. Looking for some input here; is this no big deal or am I setting myself up for a case of lead/zinc/bpa/whatever poisoning?

ForumRunner_20130730_225729.jpg

If ur worried just go back tomorrow and get a lead from brass one. Or find a stainless steel one online.

brewhardware.com will have the O-rings and should have the fittings as well if u wanna order online.

Honestly I use brass connectors on mine and I'm still healthy. It's not much to worry about.

If their is anything I'd (IMHO) worry about is the cooler melting (mine buckled) or the filter crushing and not working as a drain. Some people have used coiled wire to give it strength.

I did the same filter as well, with poor results. Furthermore, I suggest using PEX and cutting slits in it.

I've got the same setup in my cooler and haven't had any problems. I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as u keep it clean. I used a copper union to run it out to a brass ball valve and haven't had any issues. Looks great! Relax!

My buddies all use brass and their wangs haven't fallen off yet, one even managed to sprout kids after the fact. Historically brass has been made with lead, though new versions that are intended for drinking water are just about lead free as you can get. Check your packaging if you still have it. If you're still worried you can go stainless. Or pickle the brass. You can also replace the washer with silicone too.

Back