Mashing with the go-to plastic 6.5 gal bucket fermenter as mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRW1

Reaction score
Hey yall.
First keep keepin it real with the homebrewing. Many of you are masters and all of you deserve to take real pride in this amazing art of transformation and fermentation. Lots of love. :pipe:

So I guess if this idea works, I can transition to All-Grain from partial mash and extract brewing. I saw this somewhere online today and thought it a great idea for me, having just received a new FastFerment in the mail today (finally), and also having the regular 6.5 gal plastic bucket fermenter with the spigot (!) and of course, the ol' glass carboy.

My understanding now of the steps before boil are that you calculate how much water you estimate you'll lose based on your efficiency and add that to your desired final water level (in gallons, for me about 5 or 5.5), so that when youre done with the boil you can cool it and throw it right into the fermenter while adding the correct amount of yeast and be done with it. :rockin: :fro:

Then you mash at the recipe's temperature and sparge. I guess with this method I would drain the wort from the buckets spigot into a big pitcher and sparge by pouring it right on the grains.
And of course, once you're done sparging you drain it all into the boil kettle and boil and add hops.
Am I right so far? There are definitely more steps you can take in many different ways, I know that.

Question. If I mash in my bucket fermenter, do I need to buy a water heater steam jet (like on espresso machines, I saw that done in a brewing video before) to keep the temperature up at the called for level while its mashing?

The only other way I can think of doing this is getting the required water level for the grain amount at a the temperature like 10-20 degrees above the target temperature, then adding to the bucket, then waiting till it cools down to the perfect level, then adding the grain.

If 6.5 gal isnt big enough for at least a 5 gallon brew, let me know. I am just boiling on my stovetop with a 5ish gallon kettle.

As far as I know, this can work.
I'd love some feedback.

First off, I'm jealous! I'm spending my money on opening my commercial brewery so I'm not buying a FastFerment but I'd be all over it otherwise.

I would be very leery of mashing in a fermenter bucket and please skip the steam jet. The thermal properties of a bucket are not properly suited to maintain a mash temperature for a long enough period of time to fully convert and extract your sugars. You'd be setting yourself up for incredibly low efficiency levels. Best thing you can do is buy a 10gal. beverage cooler (~$40 max) and use that as your mash tun. A beverage cooler will hold your mash temps long enough to convert your sugars.

Second piece of advice: buy brewing software (~$20 max). This will make your life so much easier! You will need to input the specs of your vessels (i.e. weight, height, diameter) but the software will do a great job of calculating the losses for you. You will need to test your vessels to determine accurate dead spaces.4

Do this and you'll have great beer!

When I was transitioning to all grain from extract this is an idea that I tested. I was trying to save some money and I had an extra bottling bucket that I wasn't using for anything else. Plus I like to tinker. You basically need to insulate the bucket and I eventually accomplished something that would hold a relatively steady mash temp, but I wasn't able to get it to the point where I was happy with it. I ended up buying a 5 gallon Igloo drink cooler (I do smaller batches and the 5 gallon suits my needs just fine) and accomplished in one afternoon what had taken me a month of tinkering around. Ultimately it's not that hard and relatively inexpensive to put together a mash tun using materials that will do a better job than the bottling bucket. Since it's going to be an important piece in your all grain system I think it's important to do it right and it'll last for a long time.

Even if you are able to mash, how will you full-volume boil a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon kettle?

Not sure if it is a reasonable, but I highly recommend purchasing a larger kettle and you may want to consider BIAB.

Latest posts

Back