Mashing with a BEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st_brewer

Reaction score
Hey guys

I feel like I'm becoming prolific in this forum. I have had a thought, I used to hand wash my clothes so I have a centrifuge which is basically a seive that spins at high speeds and pulls the water out of the clothes.

I'm thinking of mashing in the centrifuge and then at the end sparge as normal but use the centrifuge to pull through as much sugar as possible.

Thoughts guys?

Inventive and clever, but with the force of a centrifuge you may start extracting alot of unwanted tannins resulting in extra bitterness and astringencies.

I'm curious what everyone else on the forums has to say though.

I can see your point, the force might be a bit much, I could fit a resistor to the circuit or use lower temps?

Why does it seem every answer on this board is 'you may extract tannins' lately?

Its driving me nuts.

because tannins are very bitter and undesirable, but unfortunatly its very easy to get them out.

I'm not so sure a physical process like this is going to extract tannins. Only things like temperature and pH would matter here.

because tannins are very bitter and undesirable, but unfortunatly its very easy to get them out.

No it's not "easy" to get them out. You only produce tannins in a VERY LIMITED situation, the right combination of ph and temp...NOT anything you might have come to erronously believed which has been proving wrong...you can't get them from squeezing the grains (UNLESS they were present due to the above mentioned scenario) and you can't get them from boiling grains.

There's no reason to suspect that centrifuging would produce any more tannins than squeezing the grain bag would if there were no tannins produced due to the afore mentioned scenario to begin with.

Phoenix is right...it is annoying.

Rather than repeating that rote statement, that most folks don't even fully understands, maybe they need to educate themselves on what ACTUALLY produces tannins first.

I give a fairly in depth overview of the whole "tannis" boogey man here.

I think you have an interesting idea here. I would like to see what you come up with.

Revvy said:
No it's not "easy" to get them out. You only produce tannins in a VERY LIMITED situation, the right combination of ph and temp...NOT anything you might have come to erronously believed which has been proving wrong...you can't get them from squeezing the grains (UNLESS they were present due to the above mentioned scenario) and you can't get them from boiling grains.

There's no reason to suspect that centrifuging like the OP is considering would produce any more tannins than squeezing the grain bag would if there were no tannins produced due to the afore mentioned scenario to begin with.

Phoenix is right...it is annoying.

Rather than repeating that rote statement, that most folks don't even fully understands, maybe they need to educate themselves on what ACTUALLY produces tannins first.

I give a fairly in depth overview of the whole "tannis" boogey man here.

Revvyowned? Revvowned? Reowned?

Hmmm.

Need more home brew for a nickname.

Hey Revvy

Thanks for that blitz. I always assumed that tannins was associated with physical trauma of the seeds so high temps or impact or ph, I didnt realize that you need ideal situations.

Thanks

I'm learning a lot from these forums in the few hours ive been here

saint

My first thought with your manual washing machine thing would be some sort of cider press. There's pretty famous plans for making one out of an old maytag.

I put a bunch of info on that subject here.

Hey guys

I feel like I'm becoming prolific in this forum. I have had a thought, I used to hand wash my clothes so I have a centrifuge which is basically a seive that spins at high speeds and pulls the water out of the clothes.

I'm thinking of mashing in the centrifuge and then at the end sparge as normal but use the centrifuge to pull through as much sugar as possible.

Thoughts guys?

First you're lovely, now you're prolific. It must be Friday... :mug:

If a centrifuge was a viable idea, I think you would see it at the brewery level. Sounds like a mess to clean up IMO.

If a centrifuge was a viable idea, I think you would see it at the brewery level. Sounds like a mess to clean up IMO.

Just because it isn't in a brewery, doesn't mean its a bad idea. It just means that it isn't feasible at their scale. BIAB works for a home brewer's five gallon batch, but becomes ridiculous when scaled to 30 barrels.

I agree that it sounds like a mess to clean. Also, trying to keep the temperature constant may prove a challenge.

Here's a guy using a washing machine for mashing - I think one of the vids shows some centrifuge action.....

Hmmm...... I wonder if an old wringer washer could be used to crush malt?:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back