Mashing Pumpkin - An Alternate Approach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-star

Reaction score
So I'm going to make my first AG pumpkin ale this weekend, and I've got 3.6lbs of canned Libby's pumpkin that's been sitting on my supply shelf for a year. I plan on carmelizing it in the oven before adding it to the mash.

I've read a lot of horror stories about stuck sparges and sticky messes when trying to mash pumpkin, so I'm thinking about one of two approaches:

1. Add pre-wetted rice hulls (0.5lbs) to the bottom of the tun, then the grains, and then the pumpkin on top of the mash. This should be OK for the initial run-off, but I batch sparge and am concerned about stirring up the pumpkin and getting stuck on the sparge.

2. Mash grains as normal, but add the pumpkin confined in a nylon bag into the tun. I can't think of any real downside to this, other than perhaps poor conversion and a mess to clean out of the bag.

What say you? Any experience, tips, or advice? I'm using a 10gal rubbermaid cooler with a SS braid.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back