Mashing longer to compensate for too high a mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinosr

Reaction score
I've been reading quite a bit about the interaction between mash duration and temperature, but I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer to this question... Last weekend, I was making a batch of Denny's excellent rye IPA, but I mashed too hot, around 159 to start. To try to compensate for this error, I extended the mash by an hour, for a total of a two hour mash. Will this make a big difference? A small difference? No difference? I figured my b-amylase was already cooked, but there was no harm in extending the mash.

Extending the mash won't change it. Once you've denatured the enzymes, their done. So basically the remaining enzymes will convert what they can, then stop. You could leave it for five hours, and it wouldn't convert anymore than it did in that first hour.

I've read that higher temps quickly denature the beta amylase, the enzyme that breaks down the long chain sugars to shorter chain sugars that are more fermentable but I haven't found anything that says how long is "quickly". The higher temps definitely will denature the enzymes but it isn't an "all at once" thing as some of the enzyme action will still continue for a while.

according to braukaiser, there is a very steep decrease in attenuation potential beginning around 161F. If you were at a true 159F (how did you measure? and when?). He also shows a 3% or so increase in attenuation by mashing for two hours instead of one.

I think you made the right changes on-the-fly.

Please let us know your FG and attenuation.

Consider adding some sugars during fermentation to gain back the lost points and help to get to a low FG

Several months ago when i was still new to AG, I mashed a 1.066 at 165 F for 60 min. and still got 77% attn. with Super San Diego (estimated 80% attn.)... So I think people might get a little too scared of the higher mash temps. That being said, I won't go above 162 anymore just cuz 165 is getting too close

This is a helpful graph:

enzyme_activity_one_hour_mash-62016.jpg

nice graph! I will use this in the future when deciding what temps to set my new recipes at. Before i had just been guessing by what i had done in the past. now i can use science instead of a whim!:mug:

Thanks for the good feedback, all. I'll report back my final gravity in a week or so. I measured by electronic thermometer (well-calibrated) at a depth of about 2 inches into the mash, after the mash had time to equilibrate in temperature (five minutes).

Mashing for to long can cause other issues to beer. Like a Husky not to be mistaken with grainy which is appropriate for some styles. On the other hand husky is not a appropriate characteristic for a beer. Long mash and high temp mash will increase that husky nasty tanning flavor that can lead to astringency not to be confused for bitterness. Astringency no good. Best thing is to take your time and take temperature reading constantly which will prevent you from making mistakes.

joselima

Results:

1.076 to 1.022 = 71% apparent attenuation.

Certainly on the low end for US-05, but not a huge disaster. Beer is a bit sweet but certainly not cloying. There is some wiggle room if you use some high-attenuating yeast, I feel.

Latest posts

Back