Mashed too low, Gravity too low. How do I fix this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Just brewed a wonderful smelling Vienna Lager yesterday. My mash ended up too low to begin with and dropped a bit during 60 minute mash (supposed to be 152, started off at 150 and ended up with 147 or 148).

My gravity was supposed to be 1.054 but of course I fell way short of that with a 1.042 right now. I haven't pitched the yeast yet because I am getting wort down to pitching temp in my freezer so I still have time to do something if needed.

So, should I get some DME going? I've corrected my gravity with water before but I haven't done this yet so any suggestions will help

Thanks and Cheers:mug:

Assuming you have 5 gallons of wort, you could throw in about 1.5 lb's of DME to get you to 1.055.

I've always added before I've moved on to boiling so keep that in mind. Not sure how this would turn out post boil. My Brew Chart helps you catch these issues pre-boil. You can find it in my signature below (Brewday Numbers section).

Good luck.

cp

You could boil some water and dissolve corn sugar in it, and add, if you are only looking for gravity.

Unless I am missing something, those mash temps are not the reason for your low OG. Mashing on the low end does not result in lower efficiency and a lower gravity extract. It affects attenuation, but that isn't the issue here.

There is something else in your calculations or system causing the discrepancy. Could be anything from a coarse crush to less evaporation in the boil than expected.

Unless I am mistaken, mashing this low (146 to 148ish) will cost you efficiency unless you mash longer like 90 minutes, which I did not do

Either way, I'm wondering if this beer will be a little light and a little dry for the style I was shooting for. This Vienna Lager is my first and I'd like to help it get on the right path if I can

Unless I am mistaken, mashing this low (146 to 148ish) will cost you efficiency unless you mash longer like 90 minutes, which I did not do

Either way, I'm wondering if this beer will be a little light and a little dry for the style I was shooting for. This Vienna Lager is my first and I'd like to help it get on the right path if I can

If this is your first attempt at it then it can only get better. I would suggest a 90 min mash regardless of PM/AG styles and try taking a pre-boil measurement before you spark the BK up. That way you can add adjuncts like turbinado and/or table sugars, or belgian candi to increase your OG levels. my2cents

Yeah unless someone thinks differently, I'm probably just going to leave it as is unless someone tells me it would be way better to add dme now

It sounds like your mash temps were just fine to produce a dry, crisp lager. Assuming your temperature gauge is working correctly, then this isn't the reason for your low efficiency. I seriously wouldn't try adding dme or anything. Just continue with your original plan.

I think sometimes people get too focused on ABV, gravity, (fill in the blank), rather than producing a great tasting beer.

It sounds like your mash temps were just fine to produce a dry, crisp lager. Assuming your temperature gauge is working correctly, then this isn't the reason for your low efficiency. I seriously wouldn't try adding dme or anything. Just continue with your original plan.r.

Thanks Frank, I think you're right and I'm going to go ahead and do just that. Besides, the hydro sample did taste pretty damn good anyway

This might help for next time

ADD DME TO HIT TARGET GRAVITY

OG AND MEASUERD GRAVITY ENTERED AS GRAVITY UNITS (1.045 = 45)
EXTRACT POTENTIAL FOR DME TYPICALLY 45
SUBSTITUTE OTHER FERMENTABLES BY USING APPROPRIATE EXTRACT #’S

OG = O
FINAL VOL = V
MEASURED VOLUME = v
P = POTENTIAL EXTRACT

( O * V ) - ( M * v ) / P = LBS TO ADD

Back