mash tun stainless mixer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borto1990

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right location for this, but since im building it, we can't be to far off. I started of brewing BIAB. I've got a 40 gallon stainless tank. I've decided to go traditional single tier. I picked up another 37 gallon tank that ill use as my mash tun. Its pre made with a 3/4 nipple welded to the bottom. Im looking to get one of the jaybird false bottomes. This tank came with a stainless gear reduced mixing arm. Its currently pneumatic, but ill convert to electric. I plan on using this to slowly mix the mash, like I was constantly stirring it to keep temps accurate for direct fire. So my questions .. how close should I get the paddle to the false bottom. Is there any issues I should be aware of doing a constant slow stir? If its say a 60 min mash should I stop stirring at say 45 min and let things settle? Fyi, the fittings on bottom are shielded, so direct fire
shouldn't be a issue, plus im mixing, not pumping.. thanks!

if you arent recirculating while you are mixing, there shouldnt be much of a problem. if you were pulling liquid out of the bottom at the same time, the agitation tends to cause grain to get past the bottom and into the pump.

you have to make sure that, while you are constantly, slowly stirring, that the whole volume of mash isnt just moving at the exact same speed as the mixer (meaning, there is some actual mixing happening instead of just causing the whole column of grain to spin in place, which is the same as not mixing at all).

If its say a 60 min mash should I stop stirring at say 45 min and let things settle?
that isnt a bad idea. read up on "vourlauffing" and why its usefull.

I have not fired it up yet. but I assume it should mix OK.. it's got 2 pairs of paddles on it. all kicking up in different directions.. I got it dirt cheap so if it doesn't work I can scrap it... but I'm hoping it will mix well. I've been reading up on that.. thanks for the tip!

I've seen 4 BBL systems that don't have a a mixer. Recirculation does a good job of getting everything. Just a thought...

yea, but I get stuff cheap lol. this 38 gallon, 3/16th thick stainless tank with bottom drain and a binks 4 paddle stainless mixer with 20:1 gear reduction I picked up for 100 bucks. just need to add a false bottom. a march pump is in my future. if the mixer doesn't work, which I don't see why it wouldn't. then I will recirculate. but seeing my buddy brew. even on auto he keeps an eye on his pumps in case one clogs or cavitates and stops recirculating.. so if I can just give it a slow mix and not worry about it for the 60 some minutes, I'm all for it..

even on auto he keeps an eye on his pumps in case one clogs or cavitates and stops recirculating
i know each setup is different, but for what its worth- i recirculate durring the mash, and for the entire time that ive been brewing ive never once had the pump stop pumping all of a sudden mid-mash. sometimes i even program the mash temperature profile into my controller and go run errands for a few hours. it does rests and mashes out all on its own. ive left it to mash overnight at times.

Back