Mash Tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robange

Reaction score
I just constructed a mash tun out of a 5 gallon cooler. I saw a few people used the SS braided hoses for a strainer in the bottom without using a false bottom. Has anyone ever used the nylon braid hose instead of the stainless. Any chance nylon comp would produce off flavors? Thanks

I just constructed a mash tun out of a 5 gallon cooler. I saw a few people used the SS braided hoses for a strainer in the bottom without using a false bottom. Has anyone ever used the nylon braid hose instead of the stainless. Any chance nylon comp would produce off flavors? Thanks

if its not temp rated it could lead to a plastic off flavor i would think.

Usually the only one's who do are those who get the plastic ones by mistake (since often they're poorly labeled) and one it melts in the heat of the mash and shrinks to an unusable twisted mess of plastic, they replace it with a real SS one, and start a thread complaining that they just had to dump their first ever hot mess of grain that they couldn't brew with.

(Does that answer your question?) ;)

Thanks for the input. I will swap it the SS. This is not only my first batch of beer but Im starting off with an all grain recipe. So any advice is helpful. The big day is going to be Friday. Thanks again.

Back