Mash tun issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthMoonBrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I bought a ten gallon igloo mash tun from a guy on here, and I'm currently piecing together a kal clone (very slowly) but I currently have a HLT, MashTun(both 10 gallon igloo coolers), and a 20 gallon blichmann boil kettle. A pump and a cfc. So tonight I hooked up the pump to the mash tun, filled with only water, and it came out basically as a trickle. I couldn't even get the in hose full of water to pump through the out house. Could it be that the false bottom is hooked up with this smaller size hose and should I switch to 1/2 hose inside as well. Currently the setup is as pictured, and the second photo is what is hooked up now, compared to 1/2.

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

So I've been researching and it's saying there is not 1/2 90 degree bard. So now I have to rethink everything

What is the height of your HLT above the pump?
Also, do you have a ball valve on your pump outlet to control the flow.
Are you sure you're getting good flow from the HLT to the pump inlet.

The mashtun tonight was on the counter with the pump was on the floor and the ball valve was wide open

The connection of the hose to the false bottom shown in the first picture look problematic. It looks like the hose is crimped almost totally closed.

Those aren't even connected, I tore it all apart tonight to see how it was put together and see if the hose was plugged up. I just feel like that 90 degree piece doesn't get enough liquid moving.

When I used a 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT I originally had a domed SS fb similar to yours but all the fittings were 1/2" SS including the pickup & ball valve.
I changed to a copper manifold because of repeated stuck sparges.
It looks like your issue could very well be in the connections & tubing size.
If you change to 1/2" SS barbs you shouldn't need all those hose clamps.

Those aren't even connected, I tore it all apart tonight to see how it was put together and see if the hose was plugged up. I just feel like that 90 degree piece doesn't get enough liquid moving.

Raise the pump up to the top of the tun and disconnect the hose to it. Lower the hose to the floor and check the flow. I suspect the pump is the problem, either because it is connected backwards or because it is plugged. While an "ell" will reduce the flow it wouldn't be enough to notice with only gravity flow.

So I'll try the pump again sometime later, after I pulled the false bottom out, I filled it up again and tried using the pump and it worked fine. Just trying to get it all worked out so I can brew my first big all grain batch

Come to think of it I've never used a pump on my MLT's 7, 10, or my 15g Blichmann. I always use gravity and get more than sufficient flow.
As Mary B says your creating a vacuum and asking for a stuck sparge.

Hey guys, so I bought a ten gallon igloo mash tun from a guy on here, and I'm currently piecing together a kal clone (very slowly) but I currently have a HLT, MashTun(both 10 gallon igloo coolers), and a 20 gallon blichmann boil kettle. A pump and a cfc. So tonight I hooked up the pump to the mash tun, filled with only water, and it came out basically as a trickle. I couldn't even get the in hose full of water to pump through the out house. Could it be that the false bottom is hooked up with this smaller size hose and should I switch to 1/2 hose inside as well. Currently the setup is as pictured, and the second photo is what is hooked up now, compared to 1/2.

it appears to me that the hose going into that 90* fitting is pinched off in a crimp . Personally if I was fitting to that FB I would use a 90*sweep rather than a hard 90* . In my Igloo MT I went with a bazooka strainer to start.
I might make a FB ...I think I still have some stainless steel camping dishes, and I have a drill press. I think I can do it.

I might make a FB ...I think I still have some stainless steel camping dishes, and I have a drill press. I think I can do it.

I wouldn't bother making the FB, in my observations FB's are more prone to have issues than braids, just my preference perhaps...ymmv

Example: this thread lol

I have never used a cooler mash tun, but was looking into it for someone and THIS OR THIS COMBINATION is what I liked. It's hard plumbed so it can't collapse and I really like the design of the false bottom.

Back