Mash tun clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colbreeze

Reaction score
K, I have a rectangular cooler with pipe square on the bottom with holes drilled in it. I brewed yesterday and maybe got a half gallon through the faucet. I had to use a strainer to get the rest of the wort out. I did put the grains in the cooker and add the water second. Any ideas how to avoid this?

Sorry, I put the grains in the cooler then incremented water with the rest of the grains.

You might try cutting slits in your manifold instead of drilling holes. Cut the slits about a third of the way through your manifold on either the top or bottom. I have mine facing down (facing the cooler floor). Make sure you cut the slits thin so grain husk cannot easily pass through. Just cut a lot of them to get good flow. Search here on hombrewtalk for some nice manifold designs to reference. I used a hacksaw to cut mine. It was a little time consuming but works very well for me. Also, I was cutting copper. Also, add your mash water first, this is very important. Then you can slowly add your grain while stirring to prevent clumping up and creating dough balls. Stir constantly and thoroughly. If you want extra reassurance, add some rice hulls to your mash which will help prevent clumping and aid in lautering. I soak my rice hulls in hot water before I add to my mash so they don't absorb wort. If you follow these steps, you should have great success.

Since I have just finished reading Palmers how to brew I can relay his advice

1) don't drain too fast as this causes compaction of the grain bed
2) make sure the grain be isn't too deep about 8inch is optimal
3) Mash out at 77C and restir the grain bed
4) Glucan rest
5) Rice hulls
6) the holes should be about 1/8 inch in diameter, smaller is not better as the bed does the filtering and not the holes.

Hope this helps

Edit 7) go for a courser grind

Back