Mash Tun Choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first AG brew this weekend and I need to get a mash tun. In almost all the videos I have seen they use a rectangular type of cooler. My LHBS has a round Igloo cooler with a false bottom and valve assembly for a reasonable price. My question is whether there is a problem with getting the round type of tun vs the rectangle shaped style.

I have round type...It allows you to keep your grain bed thick for filtering...If you have a small grain bill rectangular could be an issue making the grain bed too shallow...

Just what I have picked up from videos, google, DVD from Midwest, & HBT.

What's a good price at LHBS?

You can make a round one for about $40 bucks. Cooler on CL will run you about $20 + 20 for misc fittings to make a nice bulkhead similar to the flyguy thread "cheap and easy MLT"

I have round type...It allows you to keep your grain bed thick for filtering...If you have a small grain bill rectangular could be an issue making the grain bed too shallow...

Just what I have picked up from videos, Google, DVD from Midwest, & HBT.

I have a 70qt. Colman Extreme, and it works fine for 5 & 10 gal. batches. It was cheap to convert too. About $20 not including the cooler.

Good price at the LBS would be about $80, but I've seen them for more when they use a round cooler with a false bottom and stainless hardware. As others mentioned, if you are worried about the money then make your own because it's pretty easy and quite a bit cheaper.

I am not so much worried about the money for one that is already built, I am not the DIY type of guy. I think a 5 gallon with SS false bottom and valve is about $80. I was just wondering if there was a down side to the round shape for batch sparging.

Just an FYI, a 5 gallon MLT can really limit the size of beers you can do. Around 1.060 for 1.25 qt/lb, (and I prefer 1.5 qt/lb, so even less), if memory serves...

Yes go for a 10 Gallon if you do the cylinder style cooler....Cooler new at Lowes is 43 dollars or so...
This way you can do 5 gallon batches both large and small... Also will work for small 10 gallon batches if you choose to go that route.

+1 for going with a 10 gallon. I just got done using my 10g rubbermaid to brew edworts haus pale ale and it worked awsome. I could easly have done a double batch with room to spare!

What do you mean a large or small 5 gallon batch? isn't 5 gallons always 5 gallons?

What do you mean a large or small 5 gallon batch? isn't 5 gallons always 5 gallons?

A "big" beer has a higher OG, so more grain. A "small" beer has a lower OG, so less grain. To brew anything "bigger" than a 1.060 5 gallon batch of beer, you need a larger cooler than 5 gal. For me, cuz I mash at 1.5 qt/lb instead of 1.25 qt/lb, I can't go much above a 1.045 5 gallon batch of beer in 5 gallon MLT.

I DO love my 15 gallon cooler though :D

The round coolers are better for fly sparging, but I don't think they are any worse for batch sparging. As has already been mentioned, a 5g cooler will limit what you can brew.

-a.

The number one thing that comes to my mind is a really big boil pot. I recently bought a 15 gallon MegaPot - it worked great for my first AG. (and the same mentality goes as with the MLT, if you're going to do 10 gallon batches, a 7 gallon pot won't be so good... oh and a propane burner that puts out some serious BTUs.

Just built a 5G round MT for about $25-$30. I had some random parts and pieces laying around though. This will accompany my 12.5G square one though. You can have BOTH :D

Latest posts

Back