Mash Temps vs. Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhoss

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the difference between a mash at 158 degrees versus a mash at 148 degrees would mean a large difference in ABV? Could one expect a 4% abv for 158 but a 5% abv for a 148? Or, a greater difference? any way to calculate or maybe somebody has done the same recipe (exactly the same) the only difference would be mash temp? Please advise.
Jhoss

Big difference. From purely anecdotal evidnce, at least 10 points, probably more. I'm thinking the difference between 1.008 and 1.018, for instance.

It depends on your system, but yes, all things the same mash temp makes a big difference. I can get a 1.007 wort out of a 147 degree mash, and a 1.022 out of a 158 degree mash. But it also can depend on ingredients and other factors as well!

Thank you a tun :D I brewed up the "Ode to Arthur Guiness" back in November. I am currently "treasuring" the bottles and rationing accordingly so I can have at least two on hand for St. Patties day. Gets me thinking about rebrewing it but I've been having thoughts that my only complaint - and "complaint" is way too strong of a word as this is just a delicious beer! - but my thought then is I think it could be dryer. It's really sweet. I mashed at 158 (degrees) and finished around 1022. I was thinking about drying it out a bit just by mashing at a cooler temp.

I'm torn, the change may be risky, but in the theme of "continuous improvement" I think it needs a bigger "kick".

Your thoughts?

Thank you a tun :D I brewed up the "Ode to Arthur Guiness" back in November. I am currently "treasuring" the bottles and rationing accordingly so I can have at least two on hand for St. Patties day. Gets me thinking about rebrewing it but I've been having thoughts that my only complaint - and "complaint" is way too strong of a word as this is just a delicious beer! - but my thought then is I think it could be dryer. It's really sweet. I mashed at 158 (degrees) and finished around 1022. I was thinking about drying it out a bit just by mashing at a cooler temp.

I'm torn, the change may be risky, but in the theme of "continuous improvement" I think it needs a bigger "kick".

Your thoughts?

The draft Guinness is a pretty dry and light body beer. I'd mash at 150-152. Also consider adding sour malt or lactic acid to give it that signature Guinness twang.

The draft Guinness is a pretty dry and light body beer. I'd mash at 150-152. Also consider adding sour malt or lactic acid to give it that signature Guinness twang.

I agree with you on the 150ish temps...I think this is the plan for next batch. I did use sour malt so that's a "non-issue". And I know Guinness inside and out - love the stuff - I really don't get this notion of "twang" in Guiness - to me its like mild Cocacola or Milk...sweet and mild.

Back