Mash temps falling below 140.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njviking

Reaction score
Anybody ever let their mash go overnight and drop well below 140?

Left a partigyle mash sit overnight and really didn't bother to hold temps.

Kinda of an experiment I'm doing and wondered if anybody has done this.

Mash smelled ok and am starting the boil right now. Dropped from 155 down to 110 over a 9hr period.

I know I'm probably promoting bacteria, but figured most couldn't survive a 90 min boil? Maybe they will.

The enzymes that convert starches to sugars are not temperature stable and tend to degrade at typical mash temperatures. Your wort probably had its full conversion before 90 minutes and the enzymes were degraded by then. From then on changes in temperature wouldn't affect the fermentability of the wort.

155F is well into the pasteurization temperature so the bacteria that was there to start with should all be dead and all you have to worry about is what is in the air that it is exposed to. If you kept the tun covered not much would get in. Then boiling it will kill off anything except botulin spores but they can't reproduce if the acidity it too high which it would be in beer. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I've done it frequently with overnight mashes.

Huge efficiency and very low FG.

Thats funny.

I didn't add any more base malt or anything and still ended up with a 1.045 og.

the last time I did it on a regular mash cycle I added 2 lb 2 row and .5lb victory and only came away with 1.030.

if it turns out good then I know how I'll be doing them from now on.

Latest posts

Back