Mash Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookswade

Reaction score
What happens if dough-in is at temperatures above 160 deg. F? Here is why I ask. I recently upgraded the tubing in my system from vinyl to silicone heater tubing. Instead of a 25 degree drop during transfer and dough-in, I now get less than 20 degree drop. My first batch with the new tubing resulted in a mash temperature of 162. I quickly lowered it to 155 with ice. Ninety minutes later I did an iodine test and got no change in color.

Fast forward one week and the specific gravity has only gone down to 1.022 from an O.G. of 1.058. I usually get down to about 1.012 with this yeast (WLP800.) Do I have stuck fermentation, or is the high dough-in the problem?

Brooks Wade

dough in temp is not really an issue as long as you can get it down within 20 min, this is your window for enzyme deactivation.what I think might be the culprit is not mixing the grist thoroughly enough after adding ice.You might be able to save it by using some amalase enzyme.

Back