Mash temperature controlling strategy... thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
Last time I've brewed my first beer and I've never thought getting my mash temp consistent was that pain in the ass. So this time, I've looked up few articles, threads and experiments and prepared a strategy. It would be really appreciated if you guys can give me some advices and critiques.

1.Prepare superfine fiber blanket and a electric heated sitting cushion, bubble wrap.
2.Prepare my water in my mash/lauter tun, get it heated.
3.If the thermometer reads around my striking water temp, turn down the heat and stir the water hard for few minutes, get the temperature equal.
4.If the temp hits my striking water temp, infuse my mash in order(base->specialty->adjunct), stir them for 5 minutes, and then close the lid.
5.Put the blanket at the floor, then put the sitting cushion on top, get it heated softly. Then put my mash tun on the cushion, roll it with my bubble wrap, then roll it again with the blanket.
6.Keep it for 45~60 min.
7.Lauter & Sparge.

(I think the hardest part is to get my water on right temperature)

I use this Lil system. Simple mini e Herms. Rock steady temps and well worth it
IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

Last time I've brewed my first beer and I've never thought getting my mash temp consistent was that pain in the ass. So this time, I've looked up few articles, threads and experiments and prepared a strategy. It would be really appreciated if you guys can give me some advices and critiques.

1.Prepare superfine fiber blanket and a electric heated sitting cushion, bubble wrap.
2.Prepare my water in my mash/lauter tun, get it heated.
3.If the thermometer reads around my striking water temp, turn down the heat and stir the water hard for few minutes, get the temperature equal.
4.If the temp hits my striking water temp, infuse my mash in order(base->specialty->adjunct), stir them for 5 minutes, and then close the lid.
5.Put the blanket at the floor, then put the sitting cushion on top, get it heated softly. Then put my mash tun on the cushion, roll it with my bubble wrap, then roll it again with the blanket.
6.Keep it for 45~60 min.
7.Lauter & Sparge.

(I think the hardest part is to get my water on right temperature)

Get the grains in as quickly as you can, using a mash paddle or heavy wire whisk to break up any "dough balls", then get the lid on. Stirring is losing heat.

I don't worry about stirring the water to get the heat even. If it can move it is mixing on its own. A degree or 2 off from what you plan for mash temp isn't terrible either. Most conversion will happen quickly and a little temperature loss over the 45 to 60 minute mash period won't matter much. Get the grains milled as fine as you dare, use some rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash and the conversion will be even quicker due to the smaller particle size.

I use this Lil system. Simple mini e Herms. Rock steady temps and well worth it View attachment 570289

View attachment 570290

Wow that looks pretty fancy. Sadly, I'm brewing at a home brewing shop (common in my country, where everybody lives in a small apartment), so upgrading my gadgets will be hard :( But will add it to my shopping list when I get to have my only brewing place!

Get the grains in as quickly as you can, using a mash paddle or heavy wire whisk to break up any "dough balls", then get the lid on. Stirring is losing heat.

I don't worry about stirring the water to get the heat even. If it can move it is mixing on its own. A degree or 2 off from what you plan for mash temp isn't terrible either. Most conversion will happen quickly and a little temperature loss over the 45 to 60 minute mash period won't matter much. Get the grains milled as fine as you dare, use some rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash and the conversion will be even quicker due to the smaller particle size.

So, finer milling makes a faster conversion... should write it on my brewing note. I have a thermometor on my mash tun, would just reading it while heating the water be fine to get a appropriate temperature while they are mixing together? Thanks for the tip!

One thing that improved my efficiency was stirring at 15- and 30 minutes. If I were you, I'd allow for the ability to open up the insulation and stir a couple times.

BTW, finer milling does make for faster conversion, but if you're going to mash for 60 minutes, it won't matter much. I used to do Brew-in-a-Bag and milled at a gap of .020; I'd have 90 percent of conversion done in about 15 minutes. I bought a new 3-roller mill, using a .035 gap on that mill. Conversion is slower as it takes longer for the starch in the larger grain particles to gelatinize, but it still gets there.

And yes, stirring the strike water before taking a final temp is a good idea. You don't have to stir for several minutes; 10 seconds should be enough to eliminate variation in temp.

So, finer milling makes a faster conversion... should write it on my brewing note. I have a thermometor on my mash tun, would just reading it while heating the water be fine to get a appropriate temperature while they are mixing together? Thanks for the tip!

That isn't quite right, conversion happens very fast, nearly instantaneously. What takes time is the gelatinization of the starches. Smaller particles make the starch available to be gelatinized quicker, then conversion happens. When you have larger particles you need a longer mash period to gelatinize all the starch and if the particles are large enough they won't gelatinize all the way through. That's where the poor mash efficiency comes from.

Latest posts

Back