Mash temp and yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I did a Zombie Dust clone the other day and my mash temp went all over the place.

First 30 min at 67 (celcius)
Then to 63 for few mins
Then added hot water and went to 71
Then back to 67-68 for the last min.

Did i screw up or will everything be fine? I read that it can actually be a good thing to get different temps.

And another question regarding yeast. Is it okay to use clean unsanitized warm tap water? If the water from the tap is really clean, good and without any chlorine and the jar is sanitized?

You'll be fine. Most of the conversion takes place during the first 15 minutes anyways. Are you mashing in a cooler and stirring? I usually stir really good at dough in, and 2-3 times during the hour. I mix with a paint mixer/drill to get even temps

Oh okay! I'm mashing in a 5 gal plastic bucket (made for brewing) with heating elements so i can also boil in the bucket.

I heat the water to 72 degrees then put the grains in the water in a muslim bag and stir well and it drops to 67. Then i put a sleeping bag around it and watch the temp. Bring up boil.
Then i transfer to a glass carboy.

To get the most out of the grains i have been taking them out in the bag and poured boiled water through them and let it drip into the wort.

Back