Mash temp and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I was listening to the Jamil Show's Wheat beer podcast and at the end he mentioned to mash at 152F, but then he commented that this was for 70% efficiency. I have been doing partial mashes and my efficiency seems to be in the ball park of 75-77%. Would I still use 152F or do I need to adjust my temp? I've done some searching and haven't come up with anything that mentions different temps for different efficiencies.

The higher you mash (eg. 156-158) you will make a less attenuable wort....not less efficient. I also never heard of mash temps determining eff.

I think that Jamil's point, if I have understood the podcast that I heard this on, is that he deliberately aims for about 70% efficiency, as opposed to expecting it based on an inefficient system.

My understanding is that if you aim for an efficiency in the 70% range, you will get a certain quality to the runnings that you collect. I'm being deliberately vague as I can't remember exactly what Jamil and John Palmer said (it was a Brew Strong episdoe, I guess). In any case, the 70% efficiency thing for them is planned, as opposed to a soul-crushing failure. :cross:

Any corrections or completions to what I (think I) heard are welcomed.

:mug:

Back