Mash/Sparge Schedule for Founders Breakfast Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinp

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out a mash/sparge schedule for this recipe. I have had some pretty confusing attempts to switch some things around on Beersmith. I wanted to get some ideas from you, the experts! :mug:

I have a simple gravity fed system with a 10 gallon hot liquor tun (cooler), and a 13.5 gallon mash tun (cooler).

Thanks!!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 52.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 75.9 %
1 lbs 6.1 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 8.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 5.8 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 4.4 %
9.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) 3.3 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 2.6 %

1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 39.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 14.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min 1.5 IBUs

1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 2.1 oz
----------------------------

I would like to hear the response. I'm trying an Oatmeal Stout as well (Partial Mash) and was wondering about hitting certain rests along the way. My reading of multiple sources has me a bit confused, but my feeling is that a doughing in at 100 and a protein rest at 120ish would help with the conversion of the oats.

Experts?

I think a single step infusion mash should be fine. Flaked oats are an unmalted adjunct used for adding body/mouthfeel to the beer. I don't see any reason to do a protein rest or anything else like that. I would mash between 153 - 156 for an oatmeal stout.

I am brewing this morning and will be going with a 60 minute mash at 155 degrees with 5.75 gallons of water with a water/grain ratio of 1.33qt/lb. I will then fly sparge at 168 degrees with about 3 gallons of water. I may cut my sparge water in half and do a mash out before I start sparging. I haven't decided that yet.

I am brewing this morning and will be going with a 60 minute mash at 155 degrees with 5.75 gallons of water with a water/grain ratio of 1.33qt/lb. I will then fly sparge at 168 degrees with about 3 gallons of water. I may cut my sparge water in half and do a mash out before I start sparging. I haven't decided that yet.

In my opinion a mashout isn't necessary. I used to do mashouts but then stopped and didn't notice any difference at all. I actually switched to a double batch sparge/no mashout and average 85% efficiency that way. I started using 5.2 stabilizer though, which I attribute to the high efficiency.

In my opinion a mashout isn't necessary. I used to do mashouts but then stopped and didn't notice any difference at all. I actually switched to a double batch sparge/no mashout and average 85% efficiency that way. I started using 5.2 stabilizer though, which I attribute to the high efficiency.

Very nice! Was that mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency?

Well, I have been a huge fan of mash outs until today! For this big beer, I doughed in and mashed for 60 minutes at 155 degrees. During this mash I stirred 3 times. I then fly sparged at 170 degrees. I ended up with 86% mash eff and 78% total eff! I am very happy with this and looking forward to see if this approach works for a smaller brew that I do tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back