Mash sorghum syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently asked for and got a quantity(1.5gal) of sorghum syrup, yea! But during the reducing process it looks to have caramelized quite a bit, to the point of molasses. I was hoping to make a sorghum beer with it, but it's not going to be very fermentable. Would malt enzymes work *some* magic on the syrup to make it more palatable to our yeast buddies?

tn_IMG_0805.jpg

Sorghum syrup usually is molasses. It should attenuate fine. First time I have seen anyone wanting sorghum in their beer. Check out the gluten free section on here. A lot of us only use sorghum.

I got to tell you... I was raised in Georgia and sorghum syrup doesn't do much for me. It's not bad with some biscuits I suppose.

That type of sorghum syrup is different from the sorghum syrup that is used in gluten free brewing. I wouldn't want to make a beer entirely out of that kind of sorghum (again).

Thinking about this some more, molasses ferments out just fine (hooray rum!) so i shouldn't have any problems. But this wouldn't be beer then....

It's just like Osedax said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_sorghum
I got it from a antique farming museum where they were demonstrating old equipment.

Maybe i'll just make a serious adjuncted beer? Any other suggestions on what to do with this stuff?

Look for anything that uses molasses and use the sorghum instead. It should ferment fine. I just think you'll made something better using it as an adjunct.

Latest posts

Back