Mash ph Estimation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewsbrew8155

Reaction score
I currently use Brun Water for mash ph/salts and BS 2 for recipe formation. I just completed a brew on 9/21 using BS 2 for mash ph/salts (targeting 5.4 ph). I hit my gravity and volume numbers throughout the brew and fermentation is humming happily at the moment. I don’t own a ph meter, nor do I plan on purchasing one. I’d like to think BS 2 or BS 3 will get you within the range of the right ph (read: I only want to use one software).

Are there any research/data backing up accuracy claims on estimated mash ph via brewers friend, brun water, BS 2, and BS 3? As in more than just single point, anecdotal evidence? I haven’t found much google searching for the past two weeks but I have read a TON of claims for one tool vs the other without much beyond trust to lean on.

All of these tools give me different, albeit similar, acid numbers for the same recipe. That’s fine, they probably use different models/data. Which ones hit close enough to the target for a wide variety of recipes? If I’m hitting pretty close to target ph consistently that’s all I need. I don’t care about the difference between 5.34 and 5.4 as the acceptable range is 5.3-5.5! (Or whatever it is, I’m working from memory here)

I’ve learned a ton from this site so thank you to those who contribute. My beer has improved immensely from your knowledge.

Back