Mash Out question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Reading as much as I can about BIAG. As I read through recipes on-line they call for a Mash / Conversion Rest Temp & Time..

What I don't understand is "Mash-Out" Temp & Time ?? I have seen it on YouTube and wasn't sure if it is applied to ever recipe.

The recipe that I am looking at says 150 @ 60min... This means I "Mash out" at the end of the 60min ??
Will a recipe call for a "Mash Out" step if needed ??

For the most part yes. With BIAB mash out tends to be simply raising the temp to thin the wort for draining the bag. You have to raise the temp anyway to boil eventually.
The "mash out" step is not necessary but some claim better extraction due to a hotter, thinner wort.
I haven't tried with and without to say for sure.
Sounds like an experiment is in order.

Mash Out is a step that some perform at the 60 minute mark by turning on the heat source and raising the wort temp from the 148-154 range to near 168 and then hold for 10 minutes (usually 8-10 minutes to bring the temp up then hold for 10). I've done it and can't really tell the difference in either FG, fermentation or taste.

Do it if you want to or don't . . . it's up to you.

Mash out is a step that is really only applicable when fly (continuous) sparging. Fly sparging can take 45 minutes or more, and if the mash is within the temperature range where amylase enzymes are active, then the enzymes will continue to chop up the unfermentable dextrins into fermentable sugars. This could cause the wort to be more fermentable than desired for the intended beer style, and the beer could ferment to too low an FG (come out too dry.) In order to stop the continued enzymatic action, the temperature of the mash is raised (either by adding near boiling water, or applying heat to the MLT) to a range where the amylase enzymes will be denatured in about 10 minutes, thus stopping their action.

When BIAB'ing (or batch sparging), the wort containing the bulk of the sugar is in the BK within a few minutes of the end of the mash, and heating can start immediately, which will denature the enzymes just like a mash out. So, a separate mash out is not required (no matter what the recipe says.) Also, when BIAB'ing (or batch sparging), your mash should have a higher water to grain ratio (be thinner) than when fly sparging. The thinner mash will will have a lower wort viscosity, so heating to lower the viscosity prior to run off is not necessary.

Finally, if your mash conversion is complete, a mash out will have no effect on efficiency. However, if your conversion is incomplete, then a mash out is effectively just an extension to the mash time, with a rate boost as the higher temps will speed up enzymatic action (until the higher temps denature the enzymes and action stops.) If you find you are having low conversion efficiency, you are better off going to a finer grain crush and/or longer mash times in order to get more complete conversion.

Brew on :mug:

+1 to doug293cz. I usually mash for 90 minutes, and I've found the major benefit of "mash-out" is to get a few more minutes of soak time for my grains while raising the temperature in my kettle, assuring a complete conversion. Bottom line, it shouldn't hurt if either way. Remember, if this is a hobby/passion, not a business, spending a few more minutes doing it should be adding to the enjoyment. RDWHAHB. If you brew the same recipe over and over, it would be a great opportunity to see what impact, if any, mashing out has on the end result. All else being equal, I'd be willing to bet you can't taste the difference.

Back