mash in at 137d - first all grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurley195

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question about my first all grain brew and my mash temperature landing at 137 degrees (below target). I'm brewing Oat Brown Ale with about 11 pounds of grain recipe mix in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with copper manifold. since I landed below target I decided to heat up about two quarts of water to boiling and add. I did this several times until i added approximately 8 quarts over 2 hours to get mash up to about 148 149 I held it here for about 25 minutes. my recipe called for a 90 minute mash but it turned into 120 minutes because I was trying to get the temp to 151 but still fell short. My OG reads 1.049 at 68* after 60 min boil. Is this good enough for conversion? I used strike water of 159* and I will try 167* next time? Any comments on this method and these mash temps?

It will be beer, but it will be very thin with a higher ABV. You'll still get conversion at 137F, especially with such a long mash. It's going to be a fairly thin oat brown ale. It'll still get you drunk and still be tasty if that's the only issue.

Hello everyone I have a question about my first all grain brew and my mash temperature landing at 137 degrees (below target). I'm brewing Oat Brown Ale with about 11 pounds of grain recipe mix in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with copper manifold. since I landed below target I decided to heat up about two quarts of water to boiling and add. I did this several times until i added approximately 8 quarts over 2 hours to get mash up to about 148 149 I held it here for about 25 minutes. my recipe called for a 90 minute mash but it turned into 120 minutes because I was trying to get the temp to 151 but still fell short. My OG reads 1.049 at 68* after 60 min boil. Is this good enough for conversion? I used strike water of 159* and I will try 167* next time? Any comments on this method and these mash temps?

Where did you get the strike temps you started with?

Most infusion mash directions list 170 degrees as the strike temp.

You can check for starch conversion with a simple iodine test.

You can always start with a higher temperature. It's easier to cool it down than it is to raise the temp.

Thanks for your replies folks. I've done a lot of reading but a quick reply on here always helps as it put things into simple perspective. We aiming for a higher temp next time to hopefully add the body I am looking for..

Back