Mash grain press, like a grape press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
I use a Sanke keg as a mash tun in my all electric Hermes setup. I would get stuck sparges and clogged lines even with my false bottom and rice hulls. I've since added a mesh bag inside the tun and this makes life soooooo much easier. The downside is my efficiency has dropped a few points. Where I could stir like crazy and get all the sugars off the grains when sparging, now I can't because I don't want to rip the bag. Hoisting it and letting it drip only works so well.

I want to invent (or find one that someone already has) a press. Some kind of disk to push down on the grain. A second disk or bracket of some sort to push up against the small lip that remains of the keg end. Some kind of screw to connect the two and make them separate (pushing down into grain) as twisted. Like a grape crusher.

Yes it's easier to add a couple of more pounds to every recipe and not worry about efficiency, but what fun is that? Any ideas?

I use a Sanke keg as a mash tun in my all electric Hermes setup. I would get stuck sparges and clogged lines even with my false bottom and rice hulls. I've since added a mesh bag inside the tun and this makes life soooooo much easier. The downside is my efficiency has dropped a few points. Where I could stir like crazy and get all the sugars off the grains when sparging, now I can't because I don't want to rip the bag. Hoisting it and letting it drip only works so well.

I want to invent (or find one that someone already has) a press. Some kind of disk to push down on the grain. A second disk or bracket of some sort to push up against the small lip that remains of the keg end. Some kind of screw to connect the two and make them separate (pushing down into grain) as twisted. Like a grape crusher.

Yes it's easier to add a couple of more pounds to every recipe and not worry about efficiency, but what fun is that? Any ideas?

Something like this: https://www.homebrewing.org/thumbna...minum_stainless_steel-2.jpg&maxx=108&maxy=108

Now that you are doing BIAB, have you decreased the gap on your grain mill and double crush? With BIAB, you can crush it a lot finer and you'll probably get those points back.

I visited a brewery this past weekend that does an industrial sized BIAB... they have a screened-bottom stainless vessel that fit's inside the MT, and a hoist to pull the whole thing out and drain it. Something like that might work for you. You could pull it and set it on some cross bars, and then press or weight it to drain the wort.

Latest posts

Back