Martin House Day Break (Breakfast Beer) Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagobah

Reaction score
So there's a newish brewery out of DFW called Martin House. They make one of my favorite beers of 2013 called Day Break. It's a breakfast beer. It's billed as a 4-grain beer, that's fermented to be dry, and then slightly sweetened with honey and milk sugar.

Wondering if anyone has successfully cloned this? I'm set on making this my next brew.

More info: http://martinhousebrewing.com/the-beer/day-break/

Oh, and if you're in the area, I highly suggest trying. I can't drink enough of this stuff.

Bump. I know there's a lot of love for this beer in Dallas. Surely someone has tried to make a clone.

I love that beer and would love to find the clone. Any luck?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You would probably need to chat with Cody at Martin House about seeing what he could tell you about brewing it. I need to buy some more of this soon. He does plan on having a homebrew competition at the brewery later this year.

Not sure if he would give you the exact recipe, but he could give you some hints on what ingredients to use. I live less than 10 minutes away from the brewery.

the milk sugar and honey are added in the secondary stages and i am almost positive northern hops is used for the 60 minute boil. i too, am trying to clone this beer. i've been trying to get my ducks-in-a-row, if you will, prior to tackling the challenge.

the milk sugar and honey are added in the secondary stages and i am almost positive northern hops is used for the 60 minute boil. i too, am trying to clone this beer. i've been trying to get my ducks-in-a-row, if you will, prior to tackling the challenge.

Let me know how it goes. I'd still like to clone this.

Let me get my notes and go through them and then I'll write something up

Daybreak Clone-5 gallon batch

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.3 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.1 %
8.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.9 IBUs
4.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 8 2.6 %
0.50 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBUs
Est Color: 6.2 SRM
Mash In Add 3.56 gal of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.81gal, 4.23gal) of 168.0 F water
Rack to secondary after primary is complete and add the pound of raw honey.
Bottle with 3.73 oz Corn Sugar

thats what i did, cheers

Latest posts

Back