Maris Otter Fermentability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunn, but I've recently used it on a few batches including the IPA I did on Friday. 1.066 OG.

rkbarnes82 said:
Is Maris Otter less fermentable than 2-row or pilsner? Given the same mash temp, etc...

No but it provides for a different flavor profile than the other two. It will typically provide more biscuit notes and a maltier backbone to your beer

I recently made a Scottish ale with Maris Otter. SG was 1.1! It went to 1.012 in 4 days. I don't think you need to worry!

loveofrose said:
I recently made a Scottish ale with Maris Otter. SG was 1.1! It went to 1.012 in 4 days. I don't think you need to worry!

Wow, what yeast did you use?

No, but it tends not to have the same enzymatic level as US two rows, so it may take longer to get the conversion you're after.

Also, MO is a two row barley.

I regularly get over 80% attenuation, using a grain bill with 95% M.O and WLP002 which has a published attenuation of 63 - 70%

-a.

Latest posts

Back