Maris Otter/Citra SMaSH (w/ homemade crystal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
Making a smash for my homebrew club comp and I decided to convert some of the MO to crystal MO via this tutorial. I'm hoping that the crystal will differentiate the beer among those that are using just base malt.

Are there any glaring issues with this recipe? Anything I am overlooking? I change the whirlpool add to 0%AA since beer smith assumes its above 175F and I do it below 170F

Thanks!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes
Mash Temp: 152F

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name %/IBU
1.0 pkg GY054 (Conan) (GigaYeast #)
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 92.7 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 7.3 %
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 65.0 min 53.5 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 13.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min 3.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [0.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 m 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient

I hate to be that guy that bumps his own thread but was hoping to get some feedback before I brew this weekend. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Fry?

Looks good! I'd probably lower the crystal to 5 %, and maybe change the 65 minute (why the 65 min boil?) addition to 1 oz, since the late additions are going to add IBUs unless you cool it really quick! I really like that you're doing your own crystal!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the feedback! I bumped it up to 65min (never hurts to go a little longer to help drive off more DMS) bc I needed a few more IBU but good point on the late additions since It'll take me at least 5 minutes to get the kettle to the sink and chilled below 170F. I was thinking the same thing about the crystal being only 5% but figured I'd just use what I made. I'll skim off the 2.3% extra for another smash I'm making for the same comp.

smash beers do not have crystal, unless they are all crystal.

even if your homemade "crystal malt" comes out good, you're missing the whole point of a SMaSH comp. why don't you just enter a regular comp if you want use multiple malts?

even if your homemade "crystal malt" comes out good, you're missing the whole point of a SMaSH comp. why don't you just enter a regular comp if you want use multiple malts?

It's my HBC's intra club competition and the organizer specifically stated that home roasting was allowed/encouraged.

Regarding your first point, I've read differing opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you malt your own grains, and the crystal comes from that same malt, why would it not be a SMaSH. It is still all from the same malt, technically, just a little different processing along the way.

am not trying to hijack this thread, but I'd like a clarification, as I'm planning the same.

If you malt your own grains, and the crystal comes from that same malt, why would it not be a SMaSH. It is still all from the same malt, technically, just a little different processing along the way.
\

This was my understanding as well.

I am good to go with the recipe so no worries ab highjacking :mug:

If you buy 2-row, crystal, chocolate, etc. from the same malting company they are likely from the the "same malt." The real point to a Single Malt and Single Hop is to let both stand out to see what they offer. Particularly taking an interesting base malt such as Vienna, Maris Otter, Munich. It's basically an educational brew to easily identify what these malts and hops have to offer. When you add crystal or any other malts whether from the same source or not, makes identifying exactly what the base malt brought to the final product impossible.

It's still beer and easily make great beer this way, it's just not what a SMaSH is about.

Back