Maris/Nelson SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
(I posted this in the recipe section, but got no responses - apologies for the repost!)

I'm brewing this combination this weekend for competition. I've never used Nelson before. I'm shooting for something balanced, leaning towards the hoppier side. Right now, it looks like an APA: 1.057 OG and 50 IBU. I plan on mashing at 154.

The thing is, I'm second guessing myself at my choice of malt. Would Pilsner be a better match? The category isn't by BJCP style - it's specifically for a SMaSH beer.

Incidentally, I'll be using WLP001 for a neutral yeast contribution.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

IMO id go with the Maris with this hop. Nelson is a very in your face hop. I'd want to use a malt with a little more backbone to balance the awesomeness of the Nelson.

Let us know how this beer turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maris otter is great for a SMaSH beer. gives some great flavors.
Pilsen malt will be a bit less malty and kinda, blah. if that makes sense? i'd say stick with maris otter if you want some malt body, go with pilsen if you want a slightly more hop punch.

I did do a 2row/nelson *almost* smash a few months ago (added in some honey malt), i fermented too hot on S-04 :( so the flavor was off, but i know if i fermented it correctly :) the beer would have been fantastic! good luck! and hopefully that helped a bit

Just curious, what would your hop additions be?

Unfortunately, I don't have my recipe with me at work, but here's an approximation:

60 min: 14 IBU
10 min: 18 IBU
Flameout with 45 minute hopstand: 1.1 oz
Dry hop: 1.2 oz

This is for a 2.75 gallon batch. I'm backing off the 60 minute addition so much because I just read yesterday that Nelson isn't the greatest for bittering, but I don't have a choice with a SMaSH. I'm hoping the late additions will provide a softer bitterness.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I definitely understand the points about the nice backbone of MO. This is supposed to be a balanced beer, but they will judge it according to the style I state.

I am a little worried that the biscuity flavor that MO can contribute might not mesh well with Nelson. Any thoughts? Would British 2-row or something like Golden Promise be a better match?

Golden promise i always get a bit of honey taste from. With that being said, all of my SMaSH beers are made with GP :tank:

Golden promise i always get a bit of honey taste from. With that being said, all of my SMaSH beers are made with GP :tank:

Cool thanks for the insight. I've never used Golden Promise. Not even sure if my LHBS will have it in stock. A bit of a honey note sounds like it might pair well with this hop, no?

Dude, maris otter makes REALLY awesome hoppy SMaSH beers. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it for any type of hoppy SMaSH. As a matter of fact, I've got a Columbus/MO SMaSH IPA in the fermenter right now that smells fantastic. I will echo what another poster said though - nelson is very in your face. I'm not saying change your recipe, but its something to keep in mind.

Cheers.

Dude, maris otter makes REALLY awesome hoppy SMaSH beers. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it for any type of hoppy SMaSH. As a matter of fact, I've got a Columbus/MO SMaSH IPA in the fermenter right now that smells fantastic. I will echo what another poster said though - nelson is very in your face. I'm not saying change your recipe, but its something to keep in mind.

Cheers.

Noted! Looks like I'll be backing away from the Pilsner malt. Fine with me, makes for a shorter brew day (60 minute boil vs. 90)!

Yeah, about Nelson - I've been reading about its boldness alot. I'm trying to keep it in mind. Originally, my recipe called for 1.5 oz for the hop stand. I have it down to 1.1 now. It's tough to balance the flavor I want to get out of it while making sure I get enough bitterness. I wish it were simpler to calculate hopstand IBU.

Maybe I'll tone down the dry hop a bit. Are there any tricks to bringing out more malt aroma, other than choice of malt and backing off the aroma hop additions?

hard to do with a SMaSH... you'd be best off toning down the end of the boil hops a touch

Your recipe looks good to me. I'd call it an APA or IPA based on how it turns out, probably a hoppy APA though. I really like Nelsons, this will be good.

Back