march swap eriklupus' beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
beers will be sent mon 3/24 to
FSR402
stankale
z987k

hpa=variant on edwort's HPA (kegged)
ob=high gravity wheat
smash a =SMaSH amarillo+2row (kegged)
8/8/8 ris=duh
bw=young barleywine

edit>i also sent those in illinois some bell's oberon wheat

Appearance:
Color is a hazy gold, there is some chill haze on the beer it almost looks like a wheat. The head never really formed and there is no lacing on the glass.

Aroma: I am getting a fruity aroma. Call me crazy but this almost smells like a belgian. I really want to see the recipe on this one so I know which ingredients were used.

Flavor: Lightly carbonated. I believe I am tasting fruity esters? Clean aftertaste. Very well balanced beer. Incredibly drinkable with a relatively dry finish.

I think this beer is absolutely delicious. I could drink this all night. I have made Edwort's Haus Pale and this certainly has been modified as the brewer stated. I need to see the recipe on this if I can.
I like the fact that you took the base recipe and made it your own. Great Job!

I received the box the other day. I will write a review for you if you'd like.. on what I thought anyways. It may be a little while though, before I have a chance to sit down and do it.

the 8/8/08 is young but still very drinkable now

no recipes online till i get some reviews other than mine:D

hpa
.5 xtra lite dme
8 2row
2 vienna
.5 carapils
1 cascade 60min
. 5 cascade 30min
.5 cascade 5min
safale us-05
mash at 150 for 75

bw
3# xtra lite dme
12#2row
1# crystal 120l
.25 aromatic malt, flaked barley
2 oz n brewer 60 min
.5 amarillo 15min
.75 cascade 15min
1 amarillo 5min
1.5 cascade 5min
.75 cascade dry
.5 amarillo dry
wlp 60 american ale blend
mash at 154 for 60
3.75g batch

ob
6 2row
4.5 wheat
.5 ea of carapils, crystal 20l and crystal 60l
.67 mt hood 60min
.5 cascade 30min
.33 mt hood 5 min
1 saaz 5min
1 tsp sweet orangew
safale -05
mash ay 150 for 75min

SMaSH
11.5 2row
.5 amarillo 60min
.5 amarillo 20min
1 amarillo 5min
1 amarillo dry
nottingham
mash at 154 for 60min

StankAle said:

Appearance:
Color is a hazy gold, there is some chill haze on the beer it almost looks like a wheat. The head never really formed and there is no lacing on the glass.

Aroma: I am getting a fruity aroma. Call me crazy but this almost smells like a belgian. I really want to see the recipe on this one so I know which ingredients were used.

Flavor: Lightly carbonated. I believe I am tasting fruity esters? Clean aftertaste. Very well balanced beer. Incredibly drinkable with a relatively dry finish.

I think this beer is absolutely delicious. I could drink this all night. I have made Edwort's Haus Pale and this certainly has been modified as the brewer stated. I need to see the recipe on this if I can.
I like the fact that you took the base recipe and made it your own. Great Job!

That really says it all on this beer. I started to type all that out and it's basicly word for word what I was going to say..
I really don't have anything else to add other then I liked this beer a lot and want more. :D

SMaSH Brew

I actually drank this last night but I was so tired that I just went to bed so I'm going off memory.
The color was a very nice and clear gold and was very inviting. But what I don't understand is where you are getting these fruity esters. They were present in the pale also and nether the yeast or the grain or the hops would be producing this. At least not by the stuff you are using. I really like it and would like to figure it out because I think that is what is making these beers so nice. I have a few I would like to add this to.
This beer is very good, it's clean, simple, and very flavorful. I could easily drink this all night.
Thank you for sharing them and if you figure out how you are getting this Belgian style fruity esters let me know.

Appearance: Dark mahogany brown color, almost opaque. Full head that laced the entire glass. A bit of haze is apparent when held up to the light.

Aroma: I get a "hot" alcohol feeling after a few sniffs. I know this is a big beer so I do not mind it so much. Underneath that I am getting a dark toffee, almost molasses like scent.

Flavor: Carbonation is good on this beer. Good mouthfeel, this beer has some body. Sweet and malty at the onset. I am getting a hoppy aftertaste the lingers after swallowing which I personally like. The "hot" alcohol sensation occurs upon swallowing. Perhaps this will dissipate after more aging.

Overall: This beer has layers. A sweet malty start followed by a rather bitter hop finish. The "hot" alcohol in the aroma and swallow will go away with time, you did say this one was young.
I really enjoyed this beer. Tasty.

Appearance: Crystal Clear yellow color. No head on the pour. I can see right through the glass.

Aroma: Man those Amarillo hops come through on this one. I am also surprised that there is also a malt aroma with only 2-row. Smells great.

Flavor: Dry and incredibly smooth with low carbonation that really fits. This is the most balanced beer I think I have ever tasted.

I consider this beer a learning experience. I learned that I love Amarillo hops. It also shows that a very simple beer can be really damn good.
This beer was fantastic.

I couldn't wait to have a beer after work today. I grabbed the RIS and cracked her open.

Appearance: DARK. I mean dark as midnight. Nice thick dark tan head that left after about 5 minutes thought not completely. The head continued to lace the glass.

Aroma: I must be nuts because I am not picking up much aroma at all. What little I do get reminds me of molasses or dark toffee. I expected a "hot" alcohol scent with such a big beer but I didn't get any.

Flavor: Thick chewy and completely delicious. This is the creamiest beer I have had in a long time. Heavy coffee roast flavor followed by a surprising hop bitterness. I have never tasted such bitterness in a stout before. The aftertaste has both coffee and hoppy flavors.

This is a special beer. I wish I had a case of these. I can picture drinking this in the morning while camping. I know it's a big beer but I would love to have this for breakfast!!

High gravity wheat

Appearance: Dark copper almost red in color, good haze being a wheat beer. Very little head.

Aroma: Almost none and what I could smell I'm not able to make out what it was.

Flavor: At first taste it's so sweet, sickening sweet actually. Then it went very sour, mouth puckering in fact. Then the after taste was very very dry. So dry it made my tongue tingle.

Overall: I did not like this beer. I feel that it may have been infected.

8/8/08 RIS

Appearance: This is a dark beer, black as coal. It gave me very little head at all and dissipated very quickly. Maybe I'm just to good at pouring homebrew. :drunk: The carbonation was good. There was no lacing but a thin (very thin) head stayed right to the end.

Aroma: Nice and sweet. A hint of chocolate meets the nose. Smells just the way an RIS should smell.

Flavor: The body is nice and thick I think I could stand a spoon up in this thing it was so thick. Great malt flavor with a strong roast and a hint of chocolate finish. I did not pick up on any hop bitterness but I know it's there or this would be cloying sweet. Which it's not, so you have it balanced nicely. Very creamy.

Over all: This is a great beer. Amazing that this beer being it's so young is so good. I really did not have high hopes for this. If I had brewed it (now having brewed 6 beers that are 9+% abv) I would not even think of opening one until at least 9 months.
I was pleasantly surprised though. It's clean and creamy and I think this beer SCREAMS to be served on nitro. Oh man would that be good..
This is a great beer and I would like to request that you send me another one in 6 months... :D

Here's what I wrote down when I was drinking your beers. I'm no expert so take it for what it is. Most of the beers were still cloudy, I don't know if thats cause they hadn't settled out again since they were shipped or what.

Smash:
Cloudy Pale amber with nice head retention that stayed for the whole glass.
Didn't get a lot of hop aroma out of this even though I was expecting it.
Nice Balance of hops and malt. Easy Drinking.

HPA:
Almost the same color and the smash, cloudy lighter amber.
Just a little on the bitter side from balanced and perfect.
Again this went down easy and I could drink it all night.

OB:
Again a pale amber that is slightly cloudy. Smelled slightly fruity with a hint of a fruit taste. Had a bit more body than the other two.

That's all I've opened for now. Of those three I preferred the HPA.

Haus Pale ale, Apperance was a Crystal clear gold color no haze at all. Aroma was great and not over powering There was a serious lace all the way down the glass. **** looked like a table clothe. Taste was outstanding, Nice maltiness and not an over powering bitterness, this beer is great and simply puts my haus pale ale clone to shame, well done erik.

RIS

I Agree with Stank Ale's Review except I did get a good aroma. I really want more of this beer right about now.

Back