March Swap: clemson55's brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Those of you I shipped to will receive a 32oz of the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout and 2-12oz of my IIPA. Please let me know what you think. Thanks :mug:

Clemson 55's brews arrived today. Got home from work and was in the mood for an IPA and since I received a IIPA I was in buisness.

Initial pour into glass I noticed what I thought was a Distinct Chill Haze which I could care less about. The beer had a nice frothy head that stood about an inch over the brew.I smelled the glass and got a very pleasent floral aroma, My first taste I thought there was no way it could be a IIPA this beer is very smooth and refreshing with low bitterness Very comparible in aroma to 2 hearted without the bitter aftertaste. I really enjoyed this beer and I will be looking foreward to getting the Recipe Pm'd to me so I can clone it! Job well done clemson this was a great brew.

Note: I am no judge but I do know what tastes good to me.

IIPA

Aroma – Mild. When you see IIPA on the label, you expect to get blown over by the aroma. Not this one. It was nice and balanced. Not a harsh aroma at all. Faint hint of piney hops. Nice malt tones. What I didn’t realized was just how much complexity that unassuming aroma was covering up.

Appearance – Nice pour. Good carbonation. Rich cream colored head. Beer was a medium (almost chocolate tone) brown. Very hazy, but not out of the ordinary for an IIPA. Very nice lacing throughout the session.

Flavor – At first sip I thought…hmmm…maybe an IIPA right after work wasn’t the best idea. The taste was great….but very…well…uh….IIPA(ish). (Maybe I should have worked up to this one…) Well, leave it to the human body to acclimate quickly. No sooner did I set the glass down than I was thinking…”hmmm, let’s have another taste of that…and another…and another…”. This beer tasted fantastic. Once my taste buds were awake, they couldn’t get enough. Rich malty taste and a highly balanced bittering from the hops. The flavoring and aroma hops kind of maintained their distance and didn’t grandstand the beer. I knew I wanted to savor this one so I set the glass down, went in and changed out of work clothes and came back to nurture this beer. I made myself stretch this into a 30 minute beer and every sip was better than the last. As the beer warmed, the richness really came through.

Mouthfeel – Rich and chewy. Great head retention. The carbonation was perfect. No astringency. Satisfying mouthfeel.

Overall Impression – A wonderful beer. Try as I might, there was no way I was going to let that 2nd 12-ouncer sit in the fridge any longer. I had to crack it open and repeat the process. For an IIPA, this was a very “gentle” beer. No obtrusive alcohol warmth, not biting aftertaste from too much hops, and the grain bill was a very nice combination. Very well done.

Now…PM me that recipe. :ban:

I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home or after dinner or something. I hope I didnt mislabel calling it a IIPA and cause the wrong expectations. Its pushing 7% ABV and has 9oz of hops counting the dry hopping. Maybe its just a big IPA I dont really know. :confused:

YooperBrew said:
PM? NO WAY! Post that recipe in the database for the rest of us who didn't get to sample!!!!!!

Please????

+1! I love me some hops(even though they are an endangered species). I'll be stirring this one up soon.:mug:

clemson55 said:
I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home or after dinner or something. I hope I didnt mislabel calling it a IIPA and cause the wrong expectations. Its pushing 7% ABV and has 9oz of hops counting the dry hopping. Maybe its just a big IPA I dont really know. :confused:

I wouldn't worry about what you labeled it. I know one thing....Its a damn good beer and I think that if Beirmuncher likes it and wants to brew it and yooper wants it. Well I think it could eventually have a cult following around here like Edworts Haus and apfelwein You did a great job.

Thats awesome that everyone likes it so much, funny thing is I dont think its hoppy enough. I was a little disappointed the first time I drank it.

Heres the recipe for the IIPA its an extract recipe.

IIPA:
9.3lbs Gold Liquid Malt Extract
4oz Aromatic
12oz Caramel 60*L
8oz Victory
1oz Chinook
1oz Northern Brewer
3oz Cascade
2oz Centennial
1oz Liberty
1oz Perle

Steep grains for 20 min in 3gal of water, remove grains, bring to boil. Add LME and return to boil. 60min total boil time. Hop additions 1oz Chinook at 60min, 1oz Northern Brewer at 50min, 1oz Cascade at 45min, 1oz Centennial at 30min, 1oz Cascade at 20min, 1oz Centennial at 10min, 1oz Liberty at 5min. Dry Hop in secondary for 2 weeks with 1oz Cascade and 1oz Perle.

Oatmeal PB Stout

I popped the top and it about took my face off.:D Pour revealed a Very nice looking stout Very Dark brown/Black in color with a pleasent sweet smell. The head was a creamy brown color and had perfect carbonation which I wasn't expecting from the popping of the top. Mouth Feel was Good Sweet with a slight Gritty chewiness to it. This was everything I hoped for from the name on the bottle a very easy drinking beer that went great with breakfest and went great through the rest of the day. Job well done yet again Clemson.

RICLARK said:
Oatmeal PB Stout

I popped the top and it about took my face off.:D Pour revealed a Very nice looking stout Very Dark brown/Black in color with a pleasent sweet smell. The head was a creamy brown color and had perfect carbonation which I wasn't expecting from the popping of the top. Mouth Feel was Good Sweet with a slight Gritty chewiness to it. This was everything I hoped for from the name on the bottle a very easy drinking beer that went great with breakfest and went great through the rest of the day. Job well done yet again Clemson.
Well...now you've got me ready to go home and sample.

I've got the flip top chilling in the fridge.

Going to have to find some time this weekend to sit down and enjoy...

BierMuncher said:
Well...now you've got me ready to go home and sample.

I've got the flip top chilling in the fridge.

Going to have to find some time this weekend to sit down and enjoy...

:D Just keep the flip top away from your face! :D

RICLARK said:
:D Just keep the flip top away from your face! :D

I've had a couple of them have the real vigorous pop on opening as well, but I'd say its like 1 in 5 or 6 that do that. It has been that way with all the different beers I've used those on though.

Did the PB come through to you? I dont really get it other then the smell a little but others have said anything from mild taste of it to pretty strong, and some just get a nuttiness. Just wondering if you picked up on it other than from the name.

Finally got a chance to try one of clemson55's brews.

IIPA

Pours a rich dark amber, nice head with moderate retention.

Some hops aroma, also some malt and dark fruit aromas

Flavor is very complex. Caramel sweetness with slight plums and raisins. Mild hops flavor and balanced bitterness. A nice malty flavor also. Some alcohol warmth but very mellow. This beer is not a hop bomb, but more of a hoppy old ale.

This is a beer I really enjoy.

Thank you.

Craig

PB Stout

Aroma – Roasty. Slightly chocolate. I guess I’d been afraid that I’d get a real peanut butter smell, given the name. Wrong. It was a nice smooth aroma that had a lot of complexity.

Appearance – Nice pour. Good carbonation. Dark brown pour and a cream colored head. Head was nice and lacy. I did detect some sort of film on the top of the bottle before pouring, but simply poured around it.

Flavor – Very good. Smooth roast taste. No off flavors at all. Creamy and chewy. Rich, but smooth. Definite chocolate tones and still no peanut butter (which I was actually grateful for). Clean aftertaste. Whatever was floating on top of the bottle did not apparently make its way into the beer. This was delicious.

Mouthfeel – Rich and chewy. Great head retention. The carbonation was perfect. No astringency. Satisfying mouthfeel.

Overall Impression – Very good. This was a 32 ounce flip top bottle (thank you very much) and I ended up drinking the entire thing over the course of an hour or so while watching Deadliest Catch. Seemed a nice rich stout was just the beverage for that show. Still not sure what was floating in that bottle, but it didn’t slow me down at all :D

PB Oatmeal stout

Very deep dark brown to black color.

Creamy head that dissipates in a few minutes.

Aroma of peanut butter and chocolate, slightly malty.

Taste of subtle peanut butter. I definitely notice the peanuts but its not dominating. Nice smooth stout background with hints of chocolate, a roasted grain flavors.

This one goes down easy and I'm sure the 32ozs will not go flat.

As for the bottle, I love the fact you sent out such a nice bottle for the swap.

The peanut butter doesn't really suit my tastes in a drink. This beer is good but I think it is good inspite of the peanut butter rather than because. I'd like to see the base recipe because I think it would make an great stout.

Thanks

Craig

Back