March pump with valve. Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldepaoli

Reaction score
I'm planing on buying a March 809 pump to recirculate and transfer the wort but I saw on some pictures that most people have a valve attached to the pump's outlet. Why that? Is that mandatory?

The ball valve on the output is so that you can control the flow rate of the pump. For some things that isn't as important, but when pumping out of my MLT if i open it up all the way my grain bed can become too compacted and I end up with a stuck mash, so having the ability to control flow rate is advantageous.

If all your doing with the pump is recirculating it certainly isn't necessary to have one.

Because most of the time you don't necessarily want to be pumping at full capacity, especially when you are using it with e.g. a counterflow chiller.

Actually I think the best setup is to have TWO valves on the outlet, with a T connecting to the outlet and one valve acting as a bleeder valve for priming purposes, and the other as a flow control.

No, it's not "mandatory" but it is convenient sometimes. Mainly it comes in handy for reducing flow without having to adjust kettle valves. I also like it for ease of diconecting lines that still have wort in them. I turn off my kettle and pump valves, drain the line between the the kettle and pump and then open up the valve on the pump and drain the rest of the lines and the pump itself. Less mess this way.

The output valve is primary used to regulate the flow.
It is also convenient to save prime. Closing the valve before turning the pump off will keep you from having to prime it again.

It also has another purpose if you are using non-braided silicone hoses.
I would say it is mandatory because you don't want to pressurize these hoses, they have a very low burst pressure.
In other words, don't use a valve on the output of the hose to regulate flow, it will pressure up against the hose.

It also has another purpose if you are using non-braided silicone hoses.
I would say it is mandatory because you don't want to pressurize these hoses, they have a very low burst pressure.
In other words, don't use a valve on the output of the hose to regulate flow, it will pressure up against the hose.

I do this all the time. Never had any problem with silicone hoses. It's possible that there is thinner-walled hose out there. I got mine from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Latest posts

Back