Marathon Ferment - Will it ever stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
I brewed a "Better Brew" kit (Mild Ale) over 2 weeks ago and it's still bubbling the airlock! It will be 3 weeks in the barrel on Sunday. Never had one go this long.

The first few days it had an inch of krausen and bubbled every few seconds just like all my other brews. When it calmed down I thought it was normal, but it is still bubbling the airlock once a minute or so and doesn't look to be ready to stop yet.

Is this normal for better brew? Slow yeast?

It's just releasing gas and was most likely finished in 3 days. Check FG a couple days in a row to check if it's stable.

Brulosopher said:
It's just releasing gas and was most likely finished in 3 days. Check FG a couple days in a row to check if it's stable.

Or it's infected ;)

Not infected, just opened it to check. Healthy looking yeast rafts/bubbles floating about. Maybe it is just degassing into the headspace, but... why don't my other brews do that for weeks like this one. The others usually slow down after 3-4days and stop after about 7 or 8.

venquessa said:
Not infected, just opened it to check. Healthy looking yeast rafts/bubbles floating about. Maybe it is just degassing into the headspace, but... why don't my other brews do that for weeks like this one. The others usually slow down after 3-4days and stop after about 7 or 8.

No two batches are the same... at least that's what I hear.

Remember airlock does not always tell the entire story. Could just be a build up of gas; Take hydro reading and if it is constant over a few days, onward and upward ye go!

Similar situation here. Little to no activity at airlock and racked to secondary. Came home yesterday to an airlock full of krausen.?!?! o_O

Removed and sanitized airlock and reinstalled and still getting activity today. This is one of those, 'haven't had this happen before', moments.

Keeping an eye on it and letting it run it's course.

I had that happen to me also...almost three weeks with a bubble every second... beer turned out fine....

I'm on 4 and a half weeks now finally got a stable reading today. Can't wait to get that fermenter cleared up.

Back