Maple Wheat Ale - Niagara clone - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I will be brewing the maple wheat ale clone from the book clone brew book on pages 312-313. I am a little confused with the last paragraph.

Ferment in the primary fermenter 7 days, or until fermentation slows, then siphon into secondary fermenter. Three days before bottling, prime the beer in the 2nd stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast. Bottle when fermentation is complete with: 1/2 cup of corn sugar and 1/3 cup of maple syrup in 2 cups of water.

Question is do I actually pitch yeast again when i rack to secondary and do I add corn sugar and syrup at that time or pitch yeast and wait until feentation stops again and mix sugar and syrup and put in bottling bucket and rack into bucket and bottle?

By the way I have my own homemade syrup I will be using. Not sure how much will make it into the beer as I love eating it right out of the jar.

Thanks,
noob maple lover.

You would actually pitch another bit of fresh yeast 3 days prior to bottling. This ensures you'll have steady fermentation going when you add your priming sugar for bottling. If you plan on kegging there won't be a need to repitch since you will be force carbonating anyways. All that will do then is create more trub to clear out of the keg on first pours of the day.

So you would ferment in the primary as normal, rack to the secondary for a few days and then when your getting ready to bottle (3 days prior to it) hit it with fresh yeast. No need to make a starter, just pitch a new tube or smack pack

Thanks jmw5107.

I'm am looking forward to tomorrow. Gonna brew this one up and also a blue moon clone.

Hope it all turns out good.

Back