Maple stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
Would I add the maple syrup right before I began the wort boiling, or would I want to add it in in the last minute of boil (or just mix it in with the wort after its done boiling to make sure that its flavors are not removed)

I have herd that is best to use maple sap if you can find it, and put it in the boil. o personal experience on my part though.

I haven't used maple syrup, but like any ingredient that you want to maximize flavor and aroma from, the later in the process the better. So later in the boil is probably the way to go. Even better would be in the primary once fermentation is mostly done. You could even use it as your priming sugar, though it may be tough to figure out how much to use.

You could even use it as your priming sugar, though it may be tough to figure out how much to use.

not tough at all: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

i've haven't used maple syrup yet, although i certainly will at some point. i have read that priming is your best bet for getting maple flavor into the beer. maple syrup is highly fermentable so its net effect tends to be drying out the beer without adding a whole lot of flavor. do a search on this forum for "maple syrup" (using the search box at the top right of the page) for tons more information. apparently the darker, lower "B" grades of syrup are better than the lighter "A" grades.

I haven't used maple syrup, but like any ingredient that you want to maximize flavor and aroma from, the later in the process the better. So later in the boil is probably the way to go. Even better would be in the primary once fermentation is mostly done. You could even use it as your priming sugar, though it may be tough to figure out how much to use.

Ive heard of dogfishhead bottling 75m ipa with maple syrup.

that's probably the cheapest option, as I would only want to use maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of maple syrup to prime it. seeing as to how much maple syrup costs, that is a good option for flavoring it vs dumping 1-2 pounds of the stuff into my brew (and leaves me some syrup for waffles and what not :p)

I might go with that one. it might also be a good idea to add pecan extract with the syrup. sounds like it would mix very well with a brown ale and defiantly add the flavoring I'm looking for to compliment the body of the beer.

Sweet: thanks! its defiantly the plan now if I was going to go about doing it. Still debating on flavoring it further with pecan extract, but hey, one thing at a time.

Its obviously cheaper to just roll with the maple syrup without extract :p

Bottle with it...you'll get a nice upfront flavor and aroma that will scream maple syrup...good luck

I've actually got a maple oatmeal stout on tap right now. I struggled with this as well when I was making it a few months ago. I ended up adding maple extract when I kegged. The flavor and aroma is pretty spot on. Only downside is it killed the head entirely. Like I get a little bit of foam when I pour it, and then 30 seconds later, it's gone entirely.

I would also recommend using it as a primer. Next time I brew it, I'm going to naturally carbonate in the keg with real maple syrup, and then add a tiny bit of extract if I need it. I'll probably add some flaked wheat just in case I do use the extract to try to counter its head-killing

I made a Cold Morning Maple Wheat (Mr. Beer recipe) last fall and while very good, didn't impart that much maple goodness. I've since found an organic store that carries Grade B, and will use that for an upcoming fall recipe. A Maple Stout...... Hmmm, maybe....maybe...
:tank::ban:

Latest posts

Back