Maple in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
I'm looking to making a wheat beer with maple syrup add. My question is when should I add the the syrup? Beginning middle or end? I'll be kegging this one

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've used maple syrup in a nut brown several times, and from personal experience and what I've read here, the later you add it (secondary), the more maple flavor you will retain in finished beer. However, you can add at end of boil, but just know that most of flavor will get eaten.

Putting maple in a wheat beer is interesting though, don't think I've seen that before. Let us know how it turns out

Will do, I was think more towards the end also I want a maple flavor but not too strong. I'm also going to be using wlp300 yeast. I've used that in a wheat beer once and i loved how it tasted

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you're not wanting it to be too strong I would start with adding it at flameout. Then when fermentation is complete give it a taste and if its too subtle you could always add a little more at that point to get more of the flavor you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Depending on how subtle you want the flavor, the bottling bucket might be the answer....

If you're not wanting it to be too strong I would start with adding it at flameout. Then when fermentation is complete give it a taste and if its too subtle you could always add a little more at that point to get more of the flavor you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

This what I do.

Im brewing a 5 gallon batch of nut brown ale this weekend, and plan to use Maple syrup in secondary. How much do you add? I have 16oz already but can buy more if needed.

I just transferred to secondary and had no flavor of maple at all. I added 16oz at flame out. I'm thinking of adding more before I bottle

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used 32oz of grade A maple syrup once in 5 gallons of red ale. It was an acetaldehyde (green apple) failure. Yeast would much rather ferment maple syrup than maltose. If I ever try it again I would add it after primary fermentation.

Also, I have read that Grade B maple syrup gives a better flavor and does not ferment out as completely.

I'm not sure I could taste any maple in the beer I made, but it did boost the ABV! :drunk:

Latest posts

Back