Many all-grains .... first stuck sparge, first time using braid. Coincidence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So a little background.........

I've done about ten all-grain batches prior to my most recent batch that got stuck.

My previous setup was a 12 gallon rectangular cooler with a copper manifold. This mash tun was awesome except it had one flaw. It lost about 5-6 degrees over a 60 minute mash. Everything else worked great. I made big, beers, small beers, wheat beers, used rice hulls, forgot rice hulls. Never had anything close to a stuck sparge.

Well I had an itch to make some changes so I picked up 2 10-gallon igloo coolers of off of craigslist and converted them to HLT & MLT. I went the braid route as it was cheap, easy, i batch sparge, and I heard people have good results.

First batch was brewed with the new setup this past weekend. It was a simple and cheap beer (ed's pale ale). Got the grain from BMW as i did with almost all of my other previous batches. Mash went fine. Hit the target temps. Coolers held temp within 1 degree over 60 minutes - AWESOME.

............ Then it came time to runoff.........

I could not get the beer out for the life of me. I would get about half a quart and then it would come to a sudden and complete stop. I tried running off slow didn't work, fast didn't work. So after about an 1.5 -2.0 hours of stirring with the valve open I finally got my 8 gallons (initial runoff + 2 sparge rounds) of wort out.

Needless to say I build a manifold for my tun the very next day. I am pretty excited about trying it out but still frustrated and disappointed in my first and only braid experience.

Did the braid get crushed? Did you use a stainless steel braid?

I never had any problems with mine until the last two batches, which got stuck (because I crushed the braid right by the ball valve assembly). It wasn't that big of a deal, because blowing into it every half gallon or so kept things going reasonably well. Yesterday I took the braid out, reversed it, and am confident that things will work again just fine next time I use it.

I have never used a manifold or false bottom, but as long as you can keep the braid from collapsing or getting crushed, this method works fine.

Yeah, Stainless braid. After i removed grain and cleaned tun braid was still in perfect condition. Wasn't crushed, bent, of beat up at all. Looked brand new. I am kind of confused as to why it kept getting stuck.

I never understood how painful a stuck sparge was until this past batch. I never want to experience it again.

I know it's not likely . . . but you did remove the plastic tube from inside the braid, right?

did you maybe open the valve wide open right off the bat? I did that, and got stuck.

but hey you got a great new MANifold!!

mike

I brewed with the OP that day. Brought my whole setup over to his place. I've done numerous batches with my cooler/braid setup. I've never had a stuck sparge, yet that day I had a stuck sparge as well. I attribute it to not using rice hulls, I believe I've used hulls in every batch so far and forgot them for this one. But perhaps there is something in his water lol

RICE HULLS SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED A BATCH CONSISTING OF 8 LBS 2-ROW & 2 LBS VIENNA.

It is all the braids fault.

Braids are for women. Copper is much more manly. Plus i got to solder stuff which is always a bonus.

Ditto on not opening the valve all the way open. I only crack mine about 1/2 to 3/4 open. When I open it all the way I tend to get a stuck sparge.

I have a high temp perforated tube in my braid and I always use rice hulls. No stuck sparge in 2 years.

Could be that the crush you got this time was a bit finer than normal. Maybe the beer gods needed some comic relief that day!!! :mug:

As I've often said, I don't use rice hulls, I don't have anything inside my braid, and I've never had a stuck runoff in 371 batches. It can be done.

As I've often said, I don't use rice hulls, I don't have anything inside my braid, and I've never had a stuck runoff in 371 batches. It can be done.
This is what I told him...I've done plenty without a stuck sparge. He is convinced it's the braid lol.

I cannot fault the crush...Brewmasterswarehouse has never failed...

Any number of things can cause one. Sometimes it seems like you eyeballed the MLT wrong and BINGO stuck!!!!

Any excuse to tinker with equipment is a good thing. And fun too. RDWHAHB.

I had a similar experience. In preparation for my first all grain session, I was trying out my new cooler mash tun with bazooka screen by filling it with just water. No grain was in the cooler, I was just doing a dry run walk through of my batch sparge steps. I opened the ball valve fully and little to nothing came out. I then blew into the run off hose and then the water flowed freely. I am guessing an air bubble in the valve was keeping the water from flowing. Maybe you have a similar issue?

Back