Manifold vs Secondary Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_dogg

Reaction score
I'm still in the process of pricing and weighing my options to build my 3 tap keezer. I'm debating on whether I should go with a single bodied regulator/manifold system or a Double Bodied Regulator/3 Pressure Secondary Regulator system. Does it really make a difference and are there any superior regulators manufactures?
Thanks!

Edit:
Do I have to use a primary double bodied regulator with a secondary 3 way pressure regulator, or could I use a single body?

j_dogg said:
I'm still in the process of pricing and weighing my options to build my 3 tap keezer. I'm debating on whether I should go with a single bodied regulator/manifold system or a Double Bodied Regulator/3 Pressure Secondary Regulator system. Does it really make a difference and are there any superior regulators manufactures?
Thanks!

Edit:
Do I have to use a primary double bodied regulator with a secondary 3 way pressure regulator, or could I use a single body?

To answer your last question, you can use a single body primary regulator with a secondary regulator -- you don't need to use a dual body primary.

The main advantage of using a secondary regulator is that you can have each beer at its own serving pressure. You can't do this with a single body regulator and a manifold. Having separate pressures might also be helpful for force carving a beer. You can have a little more flexibility by having a dual body primary and a manifold. This would give you one regulator body for serving and another for force carbonating, bottling with a counter pressure filler, or having a beer at a different serving pressure.

Whatever option you go, make sure that you have check valves to keep the beer from getting into your regulators. They cost about 7.50 to 10.00 each, but it is cheap insurance against having to replace a regulator. If you get a manifold, it will probably have check valves in it. You should have one check valve for each gas out.

In my opinion, having a secondary regulator offers more pressure option but it is also more expensive.

Finally there are several good brands. I have a Taprite Primary and a Five-regulator Taprite secondary regulator. There are several places to get good quality regulators; I got mine from Kegworks.com.

I hope that this helps. Mark

The best regulator I know of has an expandable version so you could always add on later. The name escapes me ATM though..

I did both :) having 2 regulators is great. You can do things like force carb cider or soda on one (or quickly force carb up a beer) and keep your manifold for your other beers on tap at 10psi.

Latest posts

Back