Mangrove Jack's workhorse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamo

Reaction score
So I went to my local homebrew supply store today to put together my Dragon Stout clone. I was intending to use wyeast 2112 California Lager. I ferment in my basement and it is generally mid to high 60s this time of year. I was also going to use a glass carboy and submerge it in a tub of water adding frozen water bottles daily in order to drop it a few extra degrees.

Unfortunately my local supply store was out of wyeast 2112. The guy recommend this or a kolsch yeast as an alternative. I left with the workhorse. Anyone have experience with this stuff? Is it a good enough approximation? If so should I still attempt to keep it a bit cooler than I usually do with ales? If it isn't obvious from the rest of this I am not really set up to do any cooler fermentations than what I described above so alternate lager yeast really isn't an option.

Back