Mangrove jacks temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggsy

Reaction score
I have just installed a mangrove jacks temp controller onto my freezer. When I set the temp to the desired level I am getting a 3 degree Celsius fluctuation which seems like a lot. E.g. Set at 15 deg c, the freezer switches off once temp lowers to 15, but then reading on meter continues down to 12 deg c.

Is it something in the settings?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have just installed a mangrove jacks temp controller onto my freezer. When I set the temp to the desired level I am getting a 3 degree Celsius fluctuation which seems like a lot. E.g. Set at 15 deg c, the freezer switches off once temp lowers to 15, but then reading on meter continues down to 12 deg c.

Is it something in the settings?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

With a simple on/off temperature controller there isn't much you can do to combat overshoot. The overshoot will be less when you attach and insulate the temperature probe to the outside of the container of which you are trying to control. Best practice is not to control the air temperature inside the chamber, but to control the temperature of the liquid.

what that means is if never freezing, then a 12+ oz bottle of water. if you might go below freezing, fill up a water bottle with vodka. seal the top of it whichever you do. adjust for higher temps of the yeast working. so 60, set to 57. etc

Where is the sensor in the freezer?

I just have it hanging loosely in the freezer

IMG_2345.jpg

When a compressor stops running there's still dense refrigerant vapor in the evaporator that will continue to absorb "heat".
This is what causes the "over-shoot" you're seeing.
The effect is most profound in a chamber with no significant thermal mass therein...

Cheers!

What he ^^ said. If you make a pocket for your sensor with insulation on one side and stick it to your fermentor, you won't see swings like that. Most people use bubble wrap or styrofoam, whatever you have handy. That will give you a temp that is closer to your fermentor than the chamber so if you want your yeast to be 15C, just set it to 15C. The chamber will get colder than that, but that's not what matters.

Latest posts

Back