Mangrove Jack M02 - sulphur problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC73

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a beginner when it comes to fermenting. I've made a few batches of fruit wine and cider with some success and I'm slowly improving. I've used champagne, montrachet and 1118 yeast in the past, all with good results.

When I started my cider making journey, I switched to mangrove jack M02 yeast on the recommendation of my local brew shop. Every batch I've made using this yeast has ended with varying degrees of sulphur smell (I believe the technical term is "rhino farts"). I always start using a starter and use yeast nutrient.

Is it just me, or is this yeast just more finnicky than the other strains? Anyone else experience this with this yeast?

Thanks.

Maybe. It's a urea/dap combo. Used it with all the other yeasts with no problems. I'm starting to wonder if it's more temperature sensitive than the others. It's been fermenting between 60-64F. Package says temp range is 64-75F. Maybe I'm stressing the little guys out? I'll have to do some trials and see what, if anything, makes a difference.

I'm using 1 tsp per gallon per package instructions. Like I said, I'm going to do some trials (temperature, nutrient, etc.) to try and figure out which parameter is the culprit.

I'm relatively new and only have made cider with store bought juice, but just made a batch with M02 and it was delicious. I did not add any nutrient or make a starter, just pitched a pack of dry yeast on top of the juice in the carboy and stuck it in my basement at about 67 °F. I can't recall if there was a sulfur smell during fermentation, but after a month and a half of primary there was no sulfur smell. Tasty results too.

Late to the game....
Sulfur production during fermentation is a function of both yeast and apple juice.
I’m a big fan of MJ 02 and have used it for years. I also use nutrients, usually fermaid and sometimes dap.
Every batch is different so I’m flexible on how I use nutrients.

Latest posts

Back