Mandarina Bavaria and Huell Melon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
Just picked up a half pound of each variety haven't found too much info on these hops and or recipes using them. Looking for any personal experience or insight.

Mandarina Bavaria
Fresh, Fruity, tangerine
7% Alpha

Huell Melon
Fruity Sweet Fresh melon
6.5% Alpha

Just picked up a half pound of each variety haven't found too much info on these hops and or recipes using them. Looking for any personal experience or insight.

Mandarina Bavaria
Fresh, Fruity, tangerine
7% Alpha

Huell Melon
Fruity Sweet Fresh melon
6.5% Alpha

These are new hops that most brewers haven't gotten to see yet, let alone us lowly Homebrewers.

Where did you find them?

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I've been waiting to order these as soon as they appear, so I would greatly like to know where you were able to get them!

These are new hops that most brewers haven't gotten to see yet, let alone us lowly Homebrewers.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I've been waiting to order these as soon as they appear, so I would greatly like to know where you were able to get them!

Hey sorry guys for the late reply, I work at a LHBS and had the opportunity to check out Hop Head farms in Hickory Corners MI to inquire about carrying their hops in our store. This is the first year they have had these hops, when I toured I was able to buy some, most had been bought out by brewery's so I bought a decent amount to play around with. Still haven't gotten around to using them though..... Didn't have to pay $3 and oz either....

anyone brew with these yet? comments?

brewed a golden strong with s-33 yeast (pretty neutral belgian strain) used both and melon dominates not much from the mandrina, still not carbed and ready but soon, I am trying to do some smash's to really see the outcome.

The smell on the hops before brewing i thought the mandrina was killer but found somewhere an IPA smash with them and the turnout wasn't the best. I"ll try and post back when i get some complete results.

I'm bottling in the next few days. I'll report back when they're carbed up. Ultimately what I made was the following:

RedX malt / Huell Melon hops SMaSH
Heidelberger malt / Mandarina Bavaria hops SMaSH

I then split each batch and fermented half with Nottingham and the other half with Belle Saison. I'm hoping that I have some interesting results to report!

I brewed a 2 row-Huell Melon SMASH pale that I'm drinking right now.
I ordered my hops from Farmhouse. 5.2%aa. I got stone fruit, maybe some strawberry, candy and light fruit notes. Almost no melon, which I was really wanting.
The beer was 1.050 SG, 1.008 FG and bittered with 1.1oz. @60, 1oz. @15, 1oz. @5 and .5 oz. dryhopped for 7 days.
The hop had a familiar flavor and in reading about it a bit more, one of the possible subs for Huell is Calypso, which I did a SMASH with last year.
I think the hops tastes good enough to stand on it's own but like Calypso, it would do well mixed to create real depth in lighter, clean beers.
My .02. I hope it helps. Cheers.

I brewed a Helles with 1oz Mandarina Bavaria FWH and 1oz Mandarina Bavaria @ Flameout. I'll have to report back, but the sample I pulled before I dropped it to lagering temps was super tasty. Obviously I didn't use enough to get a ton of flavor from the hops, but was noticeable. Thinking this one is going to be a nice modern twist on the style without straying too far from it's roots.

I made an IPA with Mandarina Bavaria and El Dorado a year ago. I think it was all drunk by the end of July. Incredibly successful with all my friends, it had a tangerine type of flavour and not much grapefruit. I kept the bitterness relatively low with a few oz of each for steeping and dry hop, but mainly Mandarina. It's not as powerful as Citra or Mosaic, but it definitively works. It's gentle enough that it would work in a lager or a bitter as a late addition. I'd even consider it of a 1/2oz dry hop in a mild...

I tried many glasses of the mandarina pale ale at Odell's tap room. It uses the mandarina hop. So amazing one of my favorite beers so as soon as I can he my hands on the hop I am going to brew with it.

Sent from my iPhone

I made a 15 minute hefe with wheat DME and WB-06. I hopped with Huell Melon to 25 IBU with one addition at 15 minutes. It's really hard to pick out any flavor from the hops. Their is a definite strawberry or fake candy strawberry aroma from the hops. It's nice in the hefe. I'd like to try it in a cleaner beer as BobG mentioned.

I have a Mandarina Saison in keg at the moment and its fantastic. Obviously as a Saison there isn't a huge amount in there 1oz FWH and 1 oz at 5.

Definitely adds a nice tangerine flavour that mix well with the fruity esters in a Saison

I'm bottling in the next few days. I'll report back when they're carbed up. Ultimately what I made was the following:

RedX malt / Huell Melon hops SMaSH
Heidelberger malt / Mandarina Bavaria hops SMaSH

I then split each batch and fermented half with Nottingham and the other half with Belle Saison. I'm hoping that I have some interesting results to report!

how are they going?

Just got a decent amount of each yesterday. Probably just rock out a couple single hop low ABV IPAs next month to see whats up.

Problem is I am a hop addict. I have enough hops for like 2 years and everytime I go to order I tell myself NOT to buy hops. I ended up buying like 5 kinds last order...

...Problem is I am a hop addict. I have enough hops for like 2 years and everytime I go to order I tell myself NOT to buy hops. I ended up buying like 5 kinds last order...

I have the same problem. I have at least 20 lbs of hops at the moment and several varieties I haven't even used yet. I have a pound each of El Dorado, Azacca, Kohatu, EXP1210, and Smaragd as well as half pound each of Saphir, Wakatu, Motueka that I have never used myself nor have ever tried in any craft brew.

I am constantly tempted to buy new hops. I have almost bought a pound of Huell Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, and Hallertau Blanc a dozen times now, but remind myself the chest freezer is full already and the 35+ varieties I have already can create anything I want. I literally have more hop varieties (and quantities) on hand than my LHBS.

I have the same problem. I have at least 20 lbs of hops at the moment and several varieties I haven't even used yet. I have a pound each of El Dorado, Azacca, Kohatu, EXP1210, and Smaragd as well as half pound each of Saphir, Wakatu, Motueka that I have never used myself nor have ever tried in any craft brew.

I am constantly tempted to buy new hops. I have almost bought a pound of Huell Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, and Hallertau Blanc a dozen times now, but remind myself the chest freezer is full already and the 35+ varieties I have already can create anything I want. I literally have more hop varieties (and quantities) on hand than my LHBS.

haha, I thought I was the only one.

My freezer is outrageous. They hops just spill out like a teenagers closet when I open it. I went through most of the NZ hops this winter in single hop IPAs. Doing Wakatu, motueka, pacifica tonight in a wheat. They were amazing alone and the wakatu and motueka will really work well together...I hope.

well, just started pouring a blonde ale with an ounce of huell melon at 5, and another ounce at flameout. so far I am not picking up any hop character, aroma or flavor. this is a very mild hop, or at least the batch I have is.

Back