Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I shift into "relax, don't worry, etc." mode, I just want to be sure nothing's wrong, haha. I pitched about 24 hours ago, and so far I don't have much activity in my fermenter. I've seen other people say that after 24 hours it should be bubbling noticeably, but I'm assuming they're probably brewing in slightly warmer environments; it's already getting pretty cold in my part of Idaho and the room the fermenter's sitting in is probably around 65 degrees.

After pitching, over the next few hours I could see lots of yeast in suspension and the numbers increased by the hour. Now they're no longer visible and the batch is cloudy. There are some very tiny, barely visible bubbles slowly rising in some of it. I have a bit of yellow foam on the top; I'm hoping that's just from the yeast/nutrient and doesn't represent any kind of infection.

Anybody hear any red flags amidst all that?

Nope. Wait until the rhino facts. You'll wonder why you would ever drink this stuff. Then 9 months later, you drink it and it's tasty. So worth it. I'm drinking one now. Cursing Ed tomorrow cuz I'll drink 4 more...

This sounds like something I'm gonna have to try. I have an unhealthy obsession with making things as powerful as possible. Hmm a 20+% abv apfelwein carbed up like champagne and sweetened before kegging sounds like a good sneak up on you and kick you square in the ass kinda drink.
It will sidle up and smile. Then kick you in the nuts, take your wallet, and run off laughing. :fro:

Wulvaine said:
Before I shift into "relax, don't worry, etc." mode, I just want to be sure nothing's wrong, haha. I pitched about 24 hours ago, and so far I don't have much activity in my fermenter. I've seen other people say that after 24 hours it should be bubbling noticeably, but I'm assuming they're probably brewing in slightly warmer environments; it's already getting pretty cold in my part of Idaho and the room the fermenter's sitting in is probably around 65 degrees. After pitching, over the next few hours I could see lots of yeast in suspension and the numbers increased by the hour. Now they're no longer visible and the batch is cloudy. There are some very tiny, barely visible bubbles slowly rising in some of it. I have a bit of yellow foam on the top; I'm hoping that's just from the yeast/nutrient and doesn't represent any kind of infection. Anybody hear any red flags amidst all that?
The tiny bubbles and cloudiness are the start of fermentation. Nothing to worry about at all. I'd betting anything you wake up in the morning and she's bubbling/farting away! Mine usually takes 24 hours or so until I need the tiny bubbles and foam on top and 36-48 hours until it's really churning.

Has anyone used US-05 with this recipe? I wanted to get something a bit sweeter and not so dry. I'm worried that there might be blow off with this yeast so maybe I should use my 6 gallon better bottle instead?

Has anyone used US-05 with this recipe? I wanted to get something a bit sweeter and not so dry. I'm worried that there might be blow off with this yeast so maybe I should use my 6 gallon better bottle instead?

You might want to try a sweet cider yeast. Most ale yeasts will easily take apfelwein down to dry. It's only ~ 9%, well within the tolerance of most ale yeasts.

Apfelwein doesn't really krausen, and cider doesn't really krausen with ale yeast, so you can safely fill up the carboy very full and just stick an airlock on it. A blow-off is cheap insurance though. I'd use your 6 gal better bottle to make 6 gallons of apfelwein.

You might want to try a sweet cider yeast. Most ale yeasts will easily take apfelwein down to dry. It's only ~ 9%, well within the tolerance of most ale yeasts.

Apfelwein doesn't really krausen, and cider doesn't really krausen with ale yeast, so you can safely fill up the carboy very full and just stick an airlock on it. A blow-off is cheap insurance though. I'd use your 6 gal better bottle to make 6 gallons of apfelwein.
You might want to tell my ceiling that. :D

Wineomatic said:
July 21st I airlocked my Apfelwein. I await patiently to bottle! Should I wait til November or October?
You can bottle now. Some people bottle at 6 weeks and say its great. I try to wait 2 months, and this batch I'm going to wait 3 to see if there's any difference.

Originally Posted by RhodySeth
Yeah I know but I've already incurred a lot of aggro from the Wife. She's already expressed displeasure with all the beer I've got conditioning and if she spies a full five gallons of the apfelwien her ire will only grow.

Of course, her ire will probably grow when she spies 2.5 gallons of apfelwien so maybe you're on to something.

When she tastes it she's gonna ask when are you making more. My old lady loves the stuff.

My wife drinks very little so chances of her loving this stuff is low. Still, she caught sight of it in the basement and didn't give me guff about it so maybe she'll be interested.

I must say, it was awesome how easy it was to make this batch. I wrote up the experience on my blog. I think I may wish that I had made more - I'm planning on giving a bunch away as Christmas gifts. I'm afraid that another BB full of the stuff may suddenly appear in my basement in the next month. Where did it come from?

IMG_0909.JPG

Just made a batch on Saturday and the SWMBO is not impressed with the smell in the basement. But she is looking forward to tasting it when done. (She's from Germany).

I've had no bad smells thus far (whether that's the nutrient, the temperature, or both, the only smell coming off the airlock is yeast), and it's still bubbling away. It's never gotten more vigorous than a kind of carbonation-like bubbling, but it seems to be doing what it's supposed to do.

I do have one question, though: there are just a few tiny flecks of white... something on the inside of the neck of the Better Bottle. It doesn't appear to be fuzzy, so I don't think it's mold. Could it just be some kind of yeast deposit or protein or something?

To any one who has gone crazy and added 8 lbs of sugar to a 5 gallon batch did you need a blow off tube or was an airlock enough.

twofocused said:
To any one who has gone crazy and added 8 lbs of sugar to a 5 gallon batch did you need a blow off tube or was an airlock enough.
a blow off tube is always recommended until primary ferm is complete.

A blowoff would be good, ask my ceiling why. :) I was using a fairly aggressive yeast at a highish temp though.

I just started my batch. 5 gal of Motts AJ (Motts was all I could find other than store brands) and 2 lbs 8 oz corn sugar. I used Lalvin 1118 wine yeast and just pitched it right on top at the rec of my LHBS place. We shall see. I think I'd like to just make two batches right away thinking it'll be Apfelwein and then I'll have lots. Problem will be bottling but maybe lack of bottles will help me be patient and let it sit.

OP states 4-6 weeks to ferment so I am hoping it's well done and drinkable by Halloween.

My OG was 1.062, giving every consideration to the temperature of the mix (72º) and the calibration temp of my hydrometer. I think it's within reason to think that this is okay.

I have two 5 gallon batches going right now. I plan on bottling one of them after 2 months and I want to let the other bulk age for another 3 months or so. I'm thinking about racking it into another carboy after 2 months to get it off the yeast and allow it to clear even more. Should I be adding K-Meta and Sorbate to it when I rack it? If I want to back sweeten a bit, can I do it and let it age that way or is it best to back sweeten just a few days before bottling?

I have two 5 gallon batches going right now. I plan on bottling one of them after 2 months and I want to let the other bulk age for another 3 months or so. I'm thinking about racking it into another carboy after 2 months to get it off the yeast and allow it to clear even more. Should I be adding K-Meta and Sorbate to it when I rack it? If I want to back sweeten a bit, can I do it and let it age that way or is it best to back sweeten just a few days before bottling?

You should definitely add k-meta when you rack it for bulk aging to prevent oxidation. You should sorbate at the same time if you plan to backsweeten. You probably want to wait a day or two after sorbating to add the sugar to taste, and then wait a few more days after that to see if fermentation has been truly halted before bottling. I'm not sure how long you can age with sugar in solution - I would think that you would be setting up a banquet for infection bugs, but maybe the sorbate and alcohol limit that. Bottling soon after sweetening would limit the potential for infection exposure.

Having said that, some people (like me) can taste sorbate even at normal doses. It can make the wine taste like chemical candy. You might want to taste the apfelwein without sorbate - even though technically dry it tastes pretty sweet to me. It is not a puckering dryness, especially if aged. When aged the apple flavor comes out again and it really conveys a perception of sweetness. Conversely, a hint of sugar in young apfelwein (which really tastes bland and lifeless, buried under the alcohol) really makes the apple flavor pop out, but might make aged sweetened apfelwein seem too sweet.

I guess my advice is to experiment, and see what works for your taste buds. The taste definitely evolves with age.

Thunder_Chicken said:
You should definitely add k-meta when you rack it for bulk aging to prevent oxidation. You should sorbate at the same time if you plan to backsweeten. You probably want to wait a day or two after sorbating to add the sugar to taste, and then wait a few more days after that to see if fermentation has been truly halted before bottling. I'm not sure how long you can age with sugar in solution - I would think that you would be setting up a banquet for infection bugs, but maybe the sorbate and alcohol limit that. Bottling soon after sweetening would limit the potential for infection exposure. Having said that, some people (like me) can taste sorbate even at normal doses. It can make the wine taste like chemical candy. You might want to taste the apfelwein without sorbate - even though technically dry it tastes pretty sweet to me. It is not a puckering dryness, especially if aged. When aged the apple flavor comes out again and it really conveys a perception of sweetness. Conversely, a hint of sugar in young apfelwein (which really tastes bland and lifeless, buried under the alcohol) really makes the apple flavor pop out, but might make aged sweetened apfelwein seem too sweet. I guess my advice is to experiment, and see what works for your taste buds. The taste definitely evolves with age.

Thanks. This isn't my first time making this but it would be my first time back sweetening anything. I generally don't like sweet wines but the wife thinks it could use a little sweetness added and if it will make her drink more of it, I'll do it! That's why I have 2 batches going right now, one to sweeten for her, another for me to drink dry, the way I prefer it.

Anyway, I'll add the K-Meta and Sorbate when I rack it. Any idea how much I would use of each for a 5 or 6 gallon batch?

Hello. I am planning to follow the original recipe with the montrachet yeast. I live in Puerto Rico. Current temps are at around 90 degrees outside ( probably 85 indoor). Should I use a water bath to lower fermentarion temps like I do for ales?

If so, what fermentation temp should I be looking for?

Thanks all for your help.

Thanks. This isn't my first time making this but it would be my first time back sweetening anything. I generally don't like sweet wines but the wife thinks it could use a little sweetness added and if it will make her drink more of it, I'll do it! That's why I have 2 batches going right now, one to sweeten for her, another for me to drink dry, the way I prefer it.

Anyway, I'll add the K-Meta and Sorbate when I rack it. Any idea how much I would use of each for a 5 or 6 gallon batch?

If you use Campden tablets (k-meta), one tablet per gallon. Sorbate is usually about 1/4 tsp per gallon.

You could also sweeten with Splenda, avoids fermentation issues altogether.

Hello. I am planning to follow the original recipe with the montrachet yeast. I live in Puerto Rico. Current temps are at around 90 degrees outside ( probably 85 indoor). Should I use a water bath to lower fermentarion temps like I do for ales?

If so, what fermentation temp should I be looking for?

Thanks all for your help.

I'd say yes, 85F is a tad warm. Sounds like you've done a water bath before with ales, so I'm curious how cool can you keep your fermentation? Given your location, I assume you use bottles of ice and don't rely on the evaporative cooling effect.

You don't necessarily need to get to ale temps for the Montrachet. Something around 70-75F would be fine. But it would also be fine to ferment in the 60s.

Lots of wiggle room with this recipe! Pretty hard to mess it up.

So dumb newbie question here, I noticed using the swamp cooler my temps were 58-60º and I read through more of this thread and realized I didn't need a swamp cooler so much as I would with beer. That said, I had some yeast in the neck of my carboy and swished the juice around, like a 5 second aeration. Is that terrible? I made this less than 12 hours ago and haven't noticed any fermentation.

I pitched the yeast dry, Lalvin 1118 wine yeast. 5 gallons of juice and 2 lb 8 oz corn sugar.

To those who are thinking about using US-05. There is some krausen, I would use a 6 gallon BB instead of a 5. There will probably be blow off with a 5 if you use US-05.

photo.JPG

TexasWine said:
I'd say yes, 85F is a tad warm. Sounds like you've done a water bath before with ales, so I'm curious how cool can you keep your fermentation? Given your location, I assume you use bottles of ice and don't rely on the evaporative cooling effect. You don't necessarily need to get to ale temps for the Montrachet. Something around 70-75F would be fine. But it would also be fine to ferment in the 60s. Lots of wiggle room with this recipe! Pretty hard to mess it up.

I can usually keep them in the low 70's/high 60's if I switch ice bottles during the morning and evenings.

I will probably need to get a second water bath to ferment this one then. Do I need to place it in a dark place as I do with ales, or can I place it in an open area (like a living room)

Thanks again for your feedback.

I can usually keep them in the low 70's/high 60's if I switch ice bottles during the morning and evenings.

I will probably need to get a second water bath to ferment this one then. Do I need to place it in a dark place as I do with ales, or can I place it in an open area (like a living room)

Thanks again for your feedback.

Low 70s high 60s is just fine. As far a dark place goes, I'm not 100% on this but I think it will only impact the color. Beer that has hops has to be kept in a dark place because it gets skunky. Since this doesn't have hops I think you'll be fine.

finsfan said:
just "brewed" a batch and fit all 5 gallons of motts in, cant wait to have this in 4 months :D

Nice i am waiting for my carboy to arrive in the mail and make my first batch.

Was going to read through until I noticed 1172 pages !!!!
I have 2 gal of home steamed apple juice I took out of freezer .
Will this work same as the store bought variety of apple juice ? Its not pasturized like the store type . Apples from neighbors tree , washed , chunked , tossed in steamer juicer and rendered juice out of them then put in freezer after cooling in jugs . Like to know if these will work ok and be able to bottle .

Just cracked open a bottle thats a little over a year old and it is super!! I need to get my next batch going soon :)

No. I was looking for a reason to get some more brewing toys so I didn't carb it. I think I will try a split batch with my next one though.

Started a Holiday Apfelwein last night. 6 gallon batch consisting on 2 cinnamon sticks, a little nutmeg, 30 raisins, and half dark brown sugar(probably 2.5 pounds total sugar to reach 1.060 OG).

I wish I would have started it a couple of months ago...but if it needs more time come thanksgiving/Christmas, I'll just let it age until next year. :)

Started a Holiday Apfelwein last night. 6 gallon batch consisting on 2 cinnamon sticks, a little nutmeg, 30 raisins, and half dark brown sugar(probably 2.5 pounds total sugar to reach 1.060 OG).

I wish I would have started it a couple of months ago...but if it needs more time come thanksgiving/Christmas, I'll just let it age until next year. :)
Good luck leaving it alone that long once you have tasted it. :)

That reminds me though, it should be just about time for some good apple cider to show up in stores. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for some.

Hey everyone,

Just got done bottling my first batch of anything, 5 gallons of Ed Worts Apfelwein. I siphoned it with a cane into a 5 gallon bucket, and took a reading while I was at it; 1.000 (7%). I went ahead and bottled, when I was done I drank what was in my graduated cylinder and a bit more out of a bottle, and almost instantly had an intense headache that I still have 40 minutes later (not as bad). I followed the recipe. What could be the cause? I live in the mountains, so the temp absolutely did not get over 75 at any point. Most likely stayed between 65-70 give or take. I bottled a bit short of the 4 week mark (cleared over a week ago). Is it just too young? Will it get better the longer I let it age in the bottles?

Thanks

Back