Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found around the 5 month mark (including aging in a keg) is pretty good for me. I've made around 30 gallons of this over the last few years.
I let it sit in primary for 2-3 months usually.
Just an observation-type question .... wouldn't it get kinda yeasty-tasting after a month or so? My wife racks her Apfelwein to a secondary after about 3 weeks to a month, and then aged for about 3 or 4 months - Taste's great! I don't leave any of my beers (Ales, IPA's, Porters, Stouts, Hard Sodas and non-alcoholic sodas) in the primary longer than 2 weeks in the primary, I've even been known to rack a third time if I felt the need to lose some of the sediment to prevent off-flavoring.

I just started a batch that is 5 and 1/2 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle will that be fine or is there too much space at the top.

You really don't need any head space maybe an inch or two. You'll see the bubbles swirl but does not have krausen

I also have a question. I assembled my batch this morning and would like to know if I can bottle it in two weeks and let it age that way so I can have my carboy back?

I would just go buy another carboy, because you will find out that you will want to start another batch as soon as possible. I have 3 carboys and i find this isn't enough.

Hi All! I sort of inadvertently came up with a similar recipe in a quest to make high ABV cider/apfelwein, and then found this thread. After reading the thread, I have a few questions:

1. I'm doing 5 gallons HQ juice in a 6.5 carboy. Will the extra space matter? It's been going strong about a week and two days. Is it too late to top off? Do I need more brown sugar if yes?

2. I did not use pectic enzyme. Will it clear up on its own? I'm using EC-1118. There is a small layer of lees at the bottom already.

Thanks all for an epic thread, and any assistance is appreciated!

I started a gallon batch of this stuff today, with one difference; I must have miscalculated my conversions from the original recipe down to a 1 gallon batch. I ended up adding 4 cup of dextrose to 1 gallon of apple juice, rendering an OG of 1.100.

I used Red star Montrachet yeast, and was wondering if it will be capable of handling all of that sugar, or will it die off early due to high alcohol levels. Ideally, I'd like it to get down to 1.000 or so, I don't really like sweet ciders. I've never used this yeast before so I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some idea of what to expect.

Thanks ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405456643.077602.jpg

I started a gallon batch of this stuff today, with one difference; I must have miscalculated my conversions from the original recipe down to a 1 gallon batch. I ended up adding 4 cup of dextrose to 1 gallon of apple juice, rendering an OG of 1.100.

I used Red star Montrachet yeast, and was wondering if it will be capable of handling all of that sugar, or will it die off early due to high alcohol levels. Ideally, I'd like it to get down to 1.000 or so, I don't really like sweet ciders. I've never used this yeast before so I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some idea of what to expect.

ThanksView attachment 211278

It wont be sweet, so dont worry about that. The stated alcohol tolerance is 13% so I think you should be fine to get down to 1.000 or lower. Good luck, this stuff is addicting! :rockin:

Hi All! I sort of inadvertently came up with a similar recipe in a quest to make high ABV cider/apfelwein, and then found this thread. After reading the thread, I have a few questions:

1. I'm doing 5 gallons HQ juice in a 6.5 carboy. Will the extra space matter? It's been going strong about a week and two days. Is it too late to top off? Do I need more brown sugar if yes?

2. I did not use pectic enzyme. Will it clear up on its own? I'm using EC-1118. There is a small layer of lees at the bottom already.

Anyone have advice for me?

1. No the extra space does not matter. It will quickly fill up with CO2.

2. Given enough time, it will probably clear up on its own. Extended cold storage after fermentation is over can help, as can using fining agents such as gelatin

Does the apfelwein have to be covered the same way beer does? Does it have to go in dark bottles or can it go in clear bottles?

Does the apfelwein have to be covered the same way beer does? Does it have to go in dark bottles or can it go in clear bottles?

No, it does not need to be covered as there are no hops involved, so light will not hurt it.

Hopefully that answers your second question. Clear bottles are fine.

I go dark bottles for mine as I plan on letting them sit for a while in the basement where there is light exposure. Only time I go clear is for a wine bottle or two that will be still versus carbed. Just my cents.

And I always fill just under the top, like 1/4". I'd sanitize the bottles of apple juice and the funnel then top off.

I bought a tub of Stevia at the market and wondering how much I should add to my bottling bucket, along with priming sugar, so that it gets decently sweetened. Anyone have any ideas?

Nope. Just go ahead and bottle. Maybe stir up a little of the yeast cake when doing so. I've waited that long and it turned out just fine.

How long does it typically take for this stuff to clarify? I used Martinelli's, clear, 100% juice (I think it's called "gold medal" or something). I didn't add any pectic enzyme.

Does it usually clear up on its own, or should I hit it with some pectic enzyme now (or at some other time in the future), even though it's been fermenting a week or so?

I am certainly not above drinking cloudy cider, just wondering.

Thanks.

How long does it typically take for this stuff to clarify? I used Martinelli's, clear, 100% juice (I think it's called "gold medal" or something). I didn't add any pectic enzyme.

Does it usually clear up on its own, or should I hit it with some pectic enzyme now (or at some other time in the future), even though it's been fermenting a week or so?

Thanks.

Leave it until it clears. Once fermentation is complete, the yeast should drop out. I use the bulk stuff from Sam's or Costco. Typically, it goes cloudy and has crazy activity within 12 hours or so, then stays cloudy for several weeks, then starts to clear up. By the time you're ready to bottle, it should be brilliantly clear. I use a carboy, so it's pretty easy to see through the bottle.

RDWHAHB

do you prime this stuff and if so how much?
shall i bottle and forget about it like the tread says? will it ever carbonate?

Thanks.

Temperature, sugar, and yeast all play into how much time it takes to clear. I typically see mine clear in about a month, but have had some go three months before clearing. Just be patient time wont hurt this one bit.

do you prime this stuff and if so how much?
shall i bottle and forget about it like the tread says? will it ever carbonate?

I used to carbonate and just used a typical level for an amber or something in the middle. It will carbonate just like a beer does in 3-4 weeks depending on temp. You can drink right away flat or wait for it to carbonate and age. it will become better with age.

How long have you guys left this on the yeast cake before bottling? Mine's at four months and I know I should bottle ASAP, but haven't gotten around to it.

How long have you guys left this on the yeast cake before bottling? Mine's at four months and I know I should bottle ASAP, but haven't gotten around to it.

No hurry. It only gets better with age. Most people say it hits its prime after 5-6 months.

I started a batch today. 4.5 gallons of juice, 2.75 pounds of sugar which came out to about 1.092. I'm fermenting it with Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast. Can't wait.

seems to be an apfelwein kinda weekend. I made a batch yesterday. I can't believe how easy it is, hardest thing was pronouncing montrachet yeast to the clerk at the brew store :)

Finding preservative free juice was kind of a pain too, but the Publix greenwise brand juice is preservative free, and a couple others.

Bottled 5 gal, then promptly made another 5 few days ago. Bubbling away happily.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've made this recipe a few times as originally posted. Has anyone successfully aged this on wood? I'm thinking of making a 6 gallon batch and splitting out 3 gallons to age without wood (possibly used for blending) and 3 gallons with wood. Can anyone help suggest the type of wood, form (chips, cubes, spiral), and estimated amount of time in contact with wood?

I've carbonated every batch to about 2.5 vol CO2. Is there any opinion on if the wood aged version should be carbonated?

So i've had this in it's Glass Fermenting for about a month now, should I bottle it then wait....or leave it in another month and then bottle it or?

I wanna go ahead and try it at least, if it needs sweetening any suggestions (5 gal batch). Im not really wanting carbonation, but i've heard of using artificial sweeteners....but im just not sure.

I guess maybe it'll be ok as it is now...

So i've had this in it's Glass Fermenting for about a month now, should I bottle it then wait....or leave it in another month and then bottle it or?

I wanna go ahead and try it at least, if it needs sweetening any suggestions (5 gal batch). Im not really wanting carbonation, but i've heard of using artificial sweeteners....but im just not sure.

I guess maybe it'll be ok as it is now...

If it's clear it is ready to drink, however the longer you can let it sit the better it gets!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Started 5 gal last thursday... now my basement reeks of the farts. Oh well... here's hoping it's as good as ya'll claim.

Back