Man, I hate Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I really don't actually. In fact I love it. Just trying to be an antagonist to the ever so popular thread : "Man, I love Apfelwein"

I just mixed up my first batch last night. Airlock is bubbling steadily. I guess I won't know which thread to identify with for at least another 6 weeks. *sigh*

I have a 3 gallon batch of Apfelwein going...looking forward to trying it! A nagging question is still in my mind: Is there anyone who didn't like Apfelwein? As I already have another 5 gallons set to go, I'm just wondering...

With the options to back-sweeten (or not), carb (or not) - there's something for everyone in the world of apfelwein.

My German friend who came to visit his mother back in the states sat down and had a "brew chat" with me. He claims, that in Germany, people blend their favorites together. Stating, while the beer is usually flat, they do mix it with apfelwein or other fruit concocted brews.

From the parts he came from, he said that Apfelwein should be germans national drink.

I don't know what to take from that, besides the grandfather of beer loves apple wine :)

Bottled it up tonight (6 weeks in the fermenter), and took a litre to our friend's place for dinner tonight. It didn't last long, we all loved it. I decided to carb 1/2 of it and leave the other half uncarbed. Made a 5 gallon batch, and can't wait to blow through it all. I am bulk aging some for Christmas though, got 6 litres on reserve for that :)

I have a 3 gallon batch of Apfelwein going...looking forward to trying it! A nagging question is still in my mind: Is there anyone who didn't like Apfelwein? As I already have another 5 gallons set to go, I'm just wondering...

quite honestly, it is what it is - it's a very good dry ciderish beverage. I'd love to go to Germany and taste and I'll take Ed's word that it's authentic. i have a ton if it in reserve, but to be honest, it's basically a very dry white wine. But yes, I love it. and it goes down smooth!

Apfelwein is the devil.
Marionberry Apfelwein is the devil's naughty half-sister with the groovy tatts and creepy eyes.

My German friend who came to visit had a "brew chat" with me. He claims, that in Germany, people blend their favorites together. Stating, while the beer is usually flat, they do mix it with apfelwein or other fruit concocted brews.

A German friend of mine in Nurnburg introduced me to hefeweizen/cola. Yep, it's just what it sounds like: roughly 50/50% hefeweizen & coca-cola. With a slice of lemon on a hot summer day. As bad as it sounds, it actually tastes pretty good; but you sorta have to be in the mood for it Give it a try, feel free to change up the ratio. Regards, GF.

Here we are again and just pulled my first glass of Apfelwein for the night. My Witbeir really needs to hurry up and age or I am going to be in trouble.

I bottled my first Apfelwein about a month ago. 1/2 carbed and the other half still.

Opened a bottle of carbed last night with SWMBO and after we finished that opened a bottle of the stlll...........woke up this morning fully clothed lying on the kitchen floor and SWMBO lying on the floor of the guest bedroom.

Guess we really, really enjoyed it!!

Apfelwein is generally a love-hate relationship. You love the apfelwein on Saturday night and you hate it Sunday morning when you wake up hugging my toilet, locked in my master bathroom.

'tis prison hooch. I brewed it one time. Never again. If I want my brain to vibrate, then I will simply stick a rabbit eared dildo into my eye socket..

kegs of apfelwein were the start and finish of several college relationships.

it truly is the devil. there is no better way of describing it.

A German friend of mine in Nurnburg introduced me to hefeweizen/cola. Yep, it's just what it sounds like: roughly 50/50% hefeweizen & coca-cola. With a slice of lemon on a hot summer day. As bad as it sounds, it actually tastes pretty good; but you sorta have to be in the mood for it Give it a try, feel free to change up the ratio. Regards, GF.

I lived in Budapest for 6 months in college and the Hungarian students like to drink red wine mixed with coke. The Greek students drank ouzo mixed with coke.

I lived in Budapest for 6 months in college and the Hungarian students like to drink red wine mixed with coke. The Greek students drank ouzo mixed with coke.

My friend drink Coke Cola Slurpee mixed with Merlot. I tried and was very extremely surprised how wonderful it tasted.

I bottled my first Apfelwein about a month ago. 1/2 carbed and the other half still.

Opened a bottle of carbed last night with SWMBO and after we finished that opened a bottle of the stlll...........woke up this morning fully clothed lying on the kitchen floor and SWMBO lying on the floor of the guest bedroom.

Guess we really, really enjoyed it!!

You have a good SWMBO!

My wife usually gives me the temp separation when I wake up clothed and in the kitchen. It is a good indicator of a good brew however...

Back