Man, adding new gear made my brewday stumble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
First day using my therminator. Opted for gravity fed (still scared of spraying hot wort everywhere with the pump that doesnt have a housing yet)

Day started off pretty good. mashed in a little high for me (168) and gravity was solid for my 6.5g of run off.

Then while I was building a hop blocker since this is a Belgian IPA and my previous wort chillers didn't mind hop residue, I ignored the pot too long and overboiled about a 1/2 gallon. Ugh. Then, I measured my hops late and had to make a last minute substitution (.75 of centenial swapped to .75 of nugget. Close enough on alpha, this was the 5 min hop add though, so the nose might be pretty off from intent.

Oh well. The 60 minute boil went OK, but time was FLYING by because I was frantically making hoses and cleaning and sanitizing the therminator.

3e29a9d0.jpg

My first attempt, I had the h20 on too slow, and the water coming out was 200, but the wort was 115ish. I was REAL glad I chose to output to bucket rather than carboy. Aerated the wort (aka, poured it back into my kettle) and re-ran about 3 gallons of it, ending up with 78 degrees into the carboy.

Poor change management today meant I have no idea how long I sparged, how long I chilled, or what my OG was. I later tipped the carboy for a reading and came in at 1.068.. A little under the estimated, but based on all of the above I was happy with the outcome and the new toys. :D

i have a Therminator too. i find that using a small pond pump to pump ice water thru the water ports allows me to chill 5 gallons from boil to about 60 degrees in one pass using a 22 lbs bag of ice and about three gallons of water in a bucket as the water source.

You can then use the same pond pump (with a few plumbing adaptors) to push PBW and StarSan thru the wort side of the Therminator to clean the unit.

I LOVE my Therminator when pairs with a pond pump. When i ran it only with tap water the story was a little different. i also recirulate my chilled wort back into my BK so that i can have total control over the chill temp. then when i hit my target temp i transfer to my primary.

i have a Therminator too. i find that using a small pond pump to pump ice water thru the water ports allows me to chill 5 gallons from boil to about 60 degrees in one pass using a 22 lbs bag of ice and about three gallons of water in a bucket as the water source.

You can then use the same pond pump (with a few plumbing adaptors) to push PBW and StarSan thru the wort side of the Therminator to clean the unit.

I LOVE my Therminator when pairs with a pond pump. When i ran it only with tap water the story was a little different. i also recirulate my chilled wort back into my BK so that i can have total control over the chill temp. then when i hit my target temp i transfer to my primary.

This is exactly what I do, too, except I fill the BK with PBW since I've got to clean it anyway, heat it up, and recirculate.

Back