Malted apple cider is HOT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvindc125

Reaction score
recipe

1 gallon apple juice (no preservatives)
1 cup light DME
16oz honey
1/4 teaspoon s04
SG 1.070
racked to secondary 14 days from start, and took gravity reading about 0.996 so its dry that is right at 10% ABV

GOD its HOT! Like almost Vodka HOT.
It smells Wonderful just like every other cider I have made but MAN it taste hot very harsh.
now I decided to take a taste of the bottom of the bucket very close to the sediment and it wasnt nearly as hot as the top I pulled off for a sample but it was still harsh as hell. Anyone have a clue as to what would cause it to get this hot and do you think it will mellow out in the secondary after a few weeks?

My guess is it's the honey. I've made two batches of cyser (3 gallons apple cider with 10lbs. of honey) and they were both a little rough until they were aged. The first batch was bottled after about 6 months and it still had off flavors for the first year or so. The second batch was brewed in August 2011 and I just bottled it this April... It is smooth! IDK the ABV off the top of my head but it was well in excess of 15% on both batches.

On a lighter note the cherry apple cider I made 8 weeks ago has carbonated and taste AMAZING

My guess is it's the honey. I've made two batches of cyser (3 gallons apple cider with 10lbs. of honey) and they were both a little rough until they were aged. The first batch was bottled after about 6 months and it still had off flavors for the first year or so. The second batch was brewed in August 2011 and I just bottled it this April... It is smooth! IDK the ABV off the top of my head but it was well in excess of 15% on both batches.

Could be the honey. I knew that would make it a bit harsh but didnt realize it would do that....O well i'll let it age a while and see what happens

carvindc125 said:
Could be the honey. I knew that would make it a bit harsh but didnt realize it would do that....O well i'll let it age a while and see what happens

Just be patient with it... You may be pleasantly surprised!

Back