Malt tea tells all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaker

Beer Missionary
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In case anyone happens to know someone who somehow forgot to label which bag had the Vienna and which had the Munich, steeping about a quarter cup in a rocks glass is sufficient to differentiate the color, aroma, and taste. Even with only a 6-8L color difference, it'll show up clearly. Not that I'd ever forget to mark my grains. Just saying it's handy if you ever do.

Can you describe the taste differences? I've only ever brewed with Munich once but it smelled awesome. My understanding is that Munich has a significantly richer bready flavor and it's darker than Vienna, but I'm curious to how the teas tasted.

I'd best describe the Vienna as smelling and tasting like Grape Nuts. The Munich was like Grape Nuts with honey. I expected it to be nuttier or more roast flavor, but it was more sweet and caramel like atop the roast grain flavor. I wish I had some C10 to compare it to. It wasn't over powering like a crystal malt, but definitely a clear difference. These were both Weyerman malts.

Back