Malt Extract Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I have always read that .225# in a gallon of liquor is about 1010 SG. And I think this is a silly question. Does the increase of ME (DME or LME) raise the specific gravity in lock step? and this would be 75% efficient. - clarification of question "would .225#s in 1 gal being 1010, then 1.125#s in 5 Gal be 1010? and then forth a multiplier of 1.125 like would 11.25#s of DME in 5 gal batch give SG of 1110? hope that made sense to someone.

Basically the conversion is linear: If you increase both the extract and the water by the same factor, the SG stays the same. If you double the extract, you double the (decimal portion of) the SG. etcetera etcetera.

I believe that at very high gravities, the conversions become non-linear. Unless you are brewing a double-imperial-foreign extra-barleywine stout, you don't need to worry about it.

you're overthinking it. DME is 44 points per gallon, LME is 36 points per gallon, i.e 1lb of DME yields an SG of 1.044 in 1 gallon, thats all there is to it. no efficiencies, no multipliers

Back