Malolactic Fermentaion in Juice Alone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninpolearner

Reaction score
I hope this is the best place for this thread. I'm relatively new here. Been searching and reading for a while but this is only my second post. If a moderator knows a better forum, I'm not at all opposed to my post being moved to where it belongs. Thanks in advance for that consideration.

Now to the question. I've been playing around with and studying malolactic fermentation. What I'm wondering is: can MLF be initiated in just fruit juice (like blueberry juice) before any yeast is added? I've come across some info about co-inoculation, but I'm confused as to the requirements of the bacteria. Does it need the ethanol? Does it feed on the yeast or a byproduct of it?

I made a blueberry mead last year and a spontaneous MLF occurred. It was right about when I bought some Oenococcus oeni for another project, so I'm pretty sure it was that bacteria that contaminated the blueberry mead. It turned out really tasty, but I want more control over it. I began an experiment to see if blueberry juice alone would support the completion of an MLF. I inoculated a quart of blueberry juice with a little of my O. oeni culture. Nothing seems to be happening. Now I'm wondering what factor I might be missing to complete the MLF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

There is, I believe, a thread on wine making and you might want to try there. Being completely naive with respect to such things I can only opine that malolactic fermentation takes place if there is malic acid in the juice and a bug that can metabolize it. If blueberry juice contains malic acid then a malic fermenter should go after it.

Yeah, those are my thoughts. Although, I think there must be some nutrients the O. oeni needs that the juice alone doesn't have. Maybe aminos in dead yeast cells or the like.

Back