Making your own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbysdad2006

Reaction score
I want to make my own recipe but have no idea where or how to start. When you guys come up with your own, how do you start out? Do you start out with the style? How can you tell which grains to use and extracts to use with them? Thanks from a newbie!

It depends a little, but the simplest case is when I want to make a beer that is in a clearly established style. In that case, I'll look at the BJCP style guidelines and a few model recipes. The model recipes are usually from this site and/or from one of my trusted brewing books. If I don't know the style well or haven't brewed it much, I stick pretty closely to the BJCP ranges for IBUs, ingredients, etc. the first time.

But the key question is why you're making your own recipe. You need to have something in mind when you start--are you trying to feature a certain hop, or grain, or spice? or exploring the space between two styles? or seeing how dark a beer you can make without getting something disgusting? To help get an answer to those kinds of questions--and really, to figure out which questions I want to ask--I usually taste a few commercial examples of the beer type I'm going for. Then I can get a sense of what a well-made IPA, or brown, or saison is like.

Of course, sometimes I don't want to make something within a particular style; sometimes I want to make something that tastes a certain way, or features a certain oddball grain. For example, when I made a beer that featured guava, I didn't have a style in mind; instead, I had an ingredient in mind. So I had to decide what elements (grain, hops, yeast, spice) would complement that fixed element.

So, I dunno. It's a hard question to answer because it's so broad. Maybe it's easiest if we start with that first question: what kind of beer do you want to make? If you don't know the answer to that question, you should probably think about what beers you like--that's usually a good starting point.

Thanks. I want to make a Imp Red Rye IPA or something like a Red IPA. Probably more on the lines of an Imp Red IPA.

Well fortunately, IPAs are a pretty set style. And there are a ton of great examples, even with something more specific like an imperial/double, or a red IPA, or a ryePA.

You can start out by looking at the BJCP guidelines for IPAs, along with the recipes on this site. Then consider what you want to specifically emphasize by making it red--just color? a little more malt flavor? sweetness? Also consider what you want your grain profile to be--more clean and neutral, or more bready, toasty, and malty? Do you want rye in there, and if so, how much? Then think about which hops you want--something more piney, or citrusy, or dank?

Once you've done that, try tinkering with it in brewing software (including the free online type, which is fine) to make sure you're hitting approximately right on color, OG/FG, hops, etc.

Then post it here, and get feedback!

Why I usually do is first decide on what I want to brew. Then I look up clones of my favorite beers of that type of beer. Then I kinda just pick pieces out of a few that sound good. Maybe the hops from one recipe yeast from another and grains from another ( or something along those lines) then put them all together. This worked for me for my first 6-8 beers till I decided to get adventurous and try new and different things.

Sometimes depends on whats at hand... I have a beer going into secondary, which will leave me a big nottingham cake. I also have about 10# of Marris Otter and some EKG and Fuggles. So I am heading for something British.

Back